Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NMSQT rules and NMF vs. AP Nat'l Scholar

2»

Replies to: NMSQT rules and NMF vs. AP Nat'l Scholar

• BlueMorphoBlueMorpho Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    IME, AP level *coursework* surely matters for that echelon, and also the grades for those courses, but not so much the scores, per se, especially since, unlike SAT scores, AP scores are self-reported (official AP score reports are not required and reportedly not even looked at when submitted). AP official reports are even designed to be sent to one school, after admission/matriculation.
    Consider, more broadly, the more 'average' school/applicant who takes 1 or 3 tests in May of senior year, long after admission results, with submission of scores that summer, in time for placement/credit upon matriculation.
    That said, completing 8 exams, before *junior* year is a feat not even possible in most schools for most students, so of course this distinction is an excellent one, but, IMO, it is not the 'AP scholar' label that mattters for admission, it is the 8 (or whatever) AP level courses, the grades in those courses, and the self-reported scores.
    Similarly, IMO, NMF is relatively meaningless, the SAT score tells them the same information.
  • jauntomjauntom Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Tokenadult, I agree with you on AP tests do matter. They show rigorous course training, ability to handle college level course, boost GPA, not to mention earning college credits later on. That can translate to thousands of dollars. The only thing I am not sure is the difference between one person with ap national award (8 ap) vs next kid with 7 ap tests to college. I guess is not much.
  • mazewanderermazewanderer Registered User Posts: 1,399 Senior Member
    In my S's case, he applied to a few top 10 schools. Three of them just asked him to mention his AP scores in the application, they did not want to see an official score report from College Board. In fact the admissions counselor at one school told us not to waste money sending them the scores at the time of admission, and it could be sent after admission to get credit.

Of the remaining two, one said it would not hurt to send it, but it was not needed as long as we had mentioned the tests and scores in the application. The last school strongly recommended that we send an official score report. even though that school gives no credit for AP.

So. I think AP's matter to extent that schools want to see that you did take the AP exam and did well, but not to a very large extent. If they really cared, they would have asked for an official score from College Board, not self reported. When you are self reporting, you may not report the low scores.
This discussion has been closed.