right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Are these the "real" cutoffs for class of 2011?

mommafrogmommafrog 636 replies90 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 726 Member
edited September 2010 in National Merit Scholarships
Ran across this while doing a search to learn more about PSAT/NMF...

College News from Texas: PSAT: National Merit Scores Are In - Did you make the cut?

First, anybody know if these are the "official" cutoffs for 2011 grads or still an estimate? Also, if a student is above the cutoff number for their state, will they automatically advance toward semifinalist? Does notification come to student's school or home?
edited September 2010
9 replies
Post edited by mommafrog on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Are these the "real" cutoffs for class of 2011?

• DnerdDnerd 1039 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,105 Senior Member
    It says "Estimated" so.. I think they're estimated. But, the percentiles were already released so you can check that for yourself until the actual results are shown.
    · Reply · Share
  • LonestaredLonestared 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am the auther of the article on PSAT Scores from College News from Texas. My name is Lauren Kahn and I am the lead consultant for Lone Star Ed Consulting. We will not know 100% the actual cut off scores for semi-finalists until September 2010. However, I can tell you with 99.5% certainty that these scores will probably stay as is. If you live in California and scored a 219, you can feel very confident that you will get invited to compete in the National Merit Finalist contest. They are based on the percetiles from the PSAT test results that were given out to students in December 2009. The top students in each state qualify for the National Merit Semi-Finalist distinction. Approximately 16,000 of the 50,000 high scorers on the PSAT will be notified in September that they are invited to become National Merit Finalist and have received the semi-finalist distinction. In April, the commended students and semi-finalists will be notified that they are amongst the top 50,000 high scoring students. Visit my blogsite to learn more about my college planning services.
    College News from Texas. Search PSAT if you want to see the article.
    · Reply · Share
  • mazewanderermazewanderer 1350 replies49 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,399 Senior Member
    mommafrog: In fall someone will start a list that will give the cut-offs. I have in the last few years seen the cut off move in some states usually by not more than 2 points in a year or say 3 points in 3-4 years. They do move a little bit. You can check last years list also if you want and for the previous years on CC. At this stage, there is nothing you can do but sit back and wait. So if you above or at the cut off point for that state, you will be move ahead.

Schools will give you the packet.
    · Reply · Share
  • LonestaredLonestared 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am the author of the article on PSAT Scores from College News from Texas. My name is Lauren Kahn and I am the lead consultant for Lone Star Ed Consulting. We will not know 100% the actual cut off scores for semi-finalists until September 2010. However, I can tell you with 99.5% certainty that these scores will probably stay as is. If you live in California and scored a 219, you can feel very confident that you will get invited to compete in the National Merit Finalist contest. They are based on the percetiles from the PSAT test results that were given out to students in December 2009. The top students in each state qualify for the National Merit Semi-Finalist distinction. Approximately 16,000 of the 50,000 high scorers on the PSAT will be notified in September that they are invited to become National Merit Finalist and have received the semi-finalist distinction. In April, the commended students and semi-finalists will be notified that they are amongst the top 50,000 high scoring students. Visit my blogsite to learn more about my college planning services. College News from Texas
    College News from Texas. Search PSAT if you want to see the article.
    · Reply · Share
  • tatertot10tatertot10 4 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    With a 216 in Texas, I am anxiously waiting to find out what the cutoff is for the class of 2011. I heard they mailed letters to schools on Aug 24th - has anyone gotten a notice?
    · Reply · Share
  • mariepuffmariepuff 85 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    cut-off scores/semi-finalist announcements
    Tatertot, there are a couple of other threads out there wondering the same thing; check this one out (above); maybe the scores will start coming in there.
    · Reply · Share
  • deborahbdeborahb 360 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 363 Member
    My son got notified today that he is a semi-finalist.
    · Reply · Share
  • bixiechikbixiechik 6 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    so does that mean if I got a 221 then I made NMSF?

Or I just missed it :(
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83912 replies1003 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,915 Forum Champion
    What state are you from? in most states, a 221 is high enough.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity