right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

What chances do I have, just on the paper?

kanflicktkanflickt 5 replies5 threads New Member
edited April 2011 in Nepal
I passed high school in 2007 and then my whole personal life got derailed. I haven't joined any college and have been working since then. I am from the top notch of my high school batch. I am giving SAT on May 7th and I am expecting a 1950+ at least , though I will get over 2050 comfortably. I was a national cricket player for the Eastern region U-19 team in 2063-2064 season.

The catch here is that I can't afford any college, not even any engineering college in Nepal. So leave alone the ones in US. That leaves me with some handful of extremely competitive colleges to apply for because only those are need-blind or offer extensive financial assistance and aid.

Now tell me where do I stand? And if any of you guys and girls know some specific college I must apply to or ones that help my fragile financial case, please suggest me.

It would be of great help. Good luck.
edited April 2011
11 replies
Post edited by kanflickt on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What chances do I have, just on the paper?

• trinitiantrinitian 365 replies14 threads Member
    ^ what's ur major??
    there are many liberal arts colleges that give you good financial aid in case u get accepted. If u're major is Engineering then the number of colleges giving aid to internationals is quite limited and u'll have a tough time. However, that doesnt mean you wont get into colleges for Eng major, it's just that u'll have a tough time.

And besides ur high school GPAs, TOEFL and SAT score, u need to work on ur application essays too. The application essay is a vital factor in admission. Plus I'd suggest you to take SAT II tests too, although SAT II tests are not required, they can be greatly helpful to get into colleges like Trinity College which gives generous financial aid to internationals including Nepalese students.

BTW, u passed high school in 2007?? In case u dont know, you'll have to explain ur academic hiatus to both, the colleges u apply and the US Embassy.
    · Reply · Share
  • confidential2015confidential2015 1356 replies40 threads Senior Member
    That means you are planning to apply to colleges for next fall for the class of 2016?
    As trinitian says, you should give a try to liberal arts colleges. They are really generous and sometimes may even award a plane ticket! However, along with very high academic achievement, you should possess leadership skills and an interesting essay.
    As mentioned above, you should be ready to explain the college about your situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • ccprofileccprofile 1774 replies10 threads Senior Member
    What chances do I have, just on the paper?
    Depends largely on the following factors:
    1. What were you doing in those years since graduating?
    2. And more importantly, I feel it depends more on whether you see those years as a learning experience--something that may have led you to acquire more maturity that other applicants may not have--or something that simply just got your life "derailed." Rest assured, if the admissions committee finds you to be at the same level of emotional maturity and accomplishment as other younger applicants, you will be at a disadvantage. So, the important thing for you to prove is that those years since graduating were used in attaining something(whether it be in the form of personality, a deep level of insight on a particular topic or even a keen understanding of yourself) that other applicants do not have.
    · Reply · Share
  • specificspecific 385 replies25 threads Member
    M sorry .. I couldn't view ur replies as same username ' kanflickt ' so .. came with new account as specific....

@ trinitian.. M planning to do major in mathematics or Physics... and I am giving SAT IIs too..

@ everyone .. yeah I understand that I need to explain such situation to college... and I do see my academic gap as a big learning experience as it taught me a lot about life...

but can you guys tell me how to show maturity than other candidates... do I have to necessarily show this on essay??
    · Reply · Share
    There are many ways to show what you learnt during the break and personal essay is just an option(which in my opinion, is the best one). You can always list your accomplishments in your CV. Plus, when you file the application through commonapp, there is a section where it asks you to post the reason for the breaks in your study. Even that section will be useful to let them know what you did during the break. Or, you can write a separate essay about your experience (if you don't want to mention in it the personal essay) and submit it to every college you apply to.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you friends for your valuable suggestions.

Could you possibly answer this for me? What is the minimum SAT-I score that I need before I even start thinking about applying to colleges such as Williams and Swarthmore College.

Have a good day.
    · Reply · Share
    If you are thinking of Williams or Swarthmore, I'd recommend 2200+ and very high marks in the subject tests too.
    · Reply · Share
    I will try my best but I haven't scored 2200 even in my practice tests ( to be frank, never in my wildest dreams ) .... I will get a score somewhere around the range of 2100+ I guess.

What colleges would you suggest for a 2100+, keeping in mind my gap years ?
    · Reply · Share
    Gap year doesn't really matter if you have done something useful during that time.

2100+ will also be fine. Don't worry so much! I'll PM me you a list of colleges. BTW, can't you even afford SEVIS fee, air ticket and all?
    · Reply · Share
    I have saved some money from my jobs.. I think I can afford air ticket .. I don't know how much SEVIS fee is. I will arrange some money if it means a good education.
    Thank you.. for you kind support.
    · Reply · Share
  • ExpeliarmusExpeliarmus 262 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Do apply to trinity college if you ace SAT II, which hopefully you will!
    Its great for Engineering and has high regards for Nepali students!!!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity