Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Non accepted students: WHAT NOW?

LedTheZeppelinLedTheZeppelin Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Nepal
There are probably dozens of us here at cc who didnt get into schools of their choice. I, for example, didn't get into any of the colleges that i applied to. Only accepted at Caldwell, Colby Sawyer and JUB.

So for rejected students, what are your safeties? Will you go to safetys/take a year off...AGAIN!, or study in Nepal.

Also, how many of you guys are going to JUB?
Post edited by LedTheZeppelin on

Replies to: Non accepted students: WHAT NOW?

• confidential2015confidential2015 Registered User Posts: 1,396 Senior Member
    Aren't you going to JUB?
  • seriousremseriousrem Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    @ledthezeppelin, caldwell decisions are out already? When did you hear from them?!
    And what about JUB, didn't get aid or don't like the college (or anything else)?..
    Because I personally would go to any country besides Nepal, I would suggest Asia-Pacific in Japan.

I know that with the earthquake & stuff, its pretty difficult & all, but please check this out
    To all current and prospective applicants and enrollees; Earthquake in northeastern Japan APU Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University

& the final application deadline is May 10!!I am applying to APU if I don't get aid from anywhere else.
  • seriousremseriousrem Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    @led....what are you planning to major in?
  • LedTheZeppelinLedTheZeppelin Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    I have no fricking idea what I'm going to major in. Hell, I don't even know where I should go? Of course JUB is great, but it has it flaws. First off, a 6000euro per year loan, 3 years bachelors, language problem, established in 2001, not so recognized, can't be sure of graduate placement in the US.

So I'm thinking of going to Caldwell, and probably transfer to some good public schools (don't know how easy thats going to be).

Caldwell's decisions are rolling. You get their decision in 2 weeks or so after you submit your docs. If your composite score is not 1200 or above, dont apply. You wont get full tuition.
  • sarbaraj101sarbaraj101 Registered User Posts: 1,450 Senior Member
    ^

The three-year bachelor's at JUB is equivalent to a four-year bachelor's at an American University. And, people have had great placements into grad schools from JUB too.. I know a few students who have gotten into Rice (goes without saying, actually), Cornell, and U Toronto.

Yes, recognition might be a problem though...

You certainly won't have language problems within JUB... about 75% of the students there are international. Better yet, you will get to improve on your German language skills (if you plan to work in Germany, you will need a certification equivalent to C1 level).

With all that said, I am most probably attending Trinity College, but had it not been for ONE factor (which I don't want to disclose publicly, and which probably doesn't affect most of you) I would have definitely chosen JUB.
  • zeppelin392zeppelin392 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @sarba..........finally, u revealed ur college............
  • CS 13CS 13 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    A Computer Science prof. at JUB wrote to one of my friends in a greeting following his acceptance that many of their students get placements at Microsoft and Google, or get enrolled at Ivies in grad. Also, a prof. of Earth and Space Sciences wrote to me that their program is ranked no. 1 in Germany.

I don't think the recognition issue would create so much of a problem. Isn't JUB spawned from Rice University and the University of Bremen, which are two highly recognized universities in the world?!
    zep392: come online
    CS 13, ^^Yes!

sarba, ;)
    My name is Abhinav Bhatta. I took 2 SAT's: one in October (610r 690m 700w) and November (580r 710m 700).
    SAT superscore: 2020
    TOEFL: 104
    Plus 2 aggregate: 77%

ED: Hamilton (Rejected)
    ED II: Colby (Deferred)
    EA: Sewanee (Rejected)

RD Rejections:
    Colby
    Colgate
    Macalester
    Occidental
    Oberlin
    Bates
    ConnColl
    Wooster
    Lafayette
    Grinnell
    Bard
    Dickinson
    TrinColl

Waitlisted:
    St. Olaf
    Gettysburg
    Carleton
    F&M

Accepted:
    JUB (6000euros merit) Have to pay 1500 EFC, 6000 loan.
    Colby Sawyer: Full tuition: pay ~$14k
    Caldwell: Full tuition: pay~$12k

I think I will be attending JUB.
    My name is Abhinav Bhatta. I took 2 SAT's: one in October (610r 690m 700w) and November (580r 710m 700).
    SAT superscore: 2020
    TOEFL: 104
    Plus 2 aggregate: 77%

ED: Hamilton (Rejected)
    ED II: Colby (Deferred)
    EA: Sewanee (Rejected)

RD Rejections:
    Colby
    Colgate
    Macalester
    Occidental
    Oberlin
    Bates
    ConnColl
    Wooster
    Lafayette
    Grinnell
    Bard
    Dickinson
    TrinColl

Waitlisted:
    St. Olaf
    Gettysburg
    Carleton
    F&M

Accepted:
    JUB (6000euros merit) Have to pay 1500 EFC, 6000 loan.
    Colby Sawyer: Full tuition: pay ~$14k
    Caldwell: Full tuition: pay~$12k

I think I will be attending JUB.
    Abhi, I know you man! ;)

Believe me, loan is not a great issue at this moment. Just goto JUB. JUB is fantastic!!
    My name is Sarba Raj. But all of you knew that already :p
    Honesty is the best policy.
    ^

well it may be the best policy, but it certainly won't get your friend a free cake on his birthday ;)

[ripped off a common app prompt.. guess which college :p ]
This discussion has been closed.