Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suggestions please....what should i do??

User95User95 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
edited May 2011 in Nepal
Ok, i'm currently doing A levels in KUHS and am graduating in 2012. Will it be too hard for me to apply for 2016? i've not really started to do anything about my applications except the SAT question of the day which im told is no help at all.... my grades are fine.. mostly A's and B's but my gc is even more clueless than me....and i think being a hosteler is also a con for me.... so should i try it for 2016 or should i wait for 2017... i think its about time i got my head straight... any suggestions please?
Post edited by User95 on

Replies to: Suggestions please....what should i do??

• seriousremseriousrem Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    start now, the sooner you start preparing for college, the better. I wish there was someone to guide me as well, but my GC is probably the dumbest person on earth.! I personally think that taking a year off will be of great help, especially for SAT and TOEFL. Also, you can utilize the gap yr by doing internships and the like, which will boost your admission process. Go to USEF, get in touch with relatives/siblings abroad..try to get all help from everyone you know. And CC is a great place to post your queries,CCers are so eagerly helpful :D
  • User95User95 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    ^thanks... but how should i start off preparing... it already feels like a hell lot to do from SAT to my academics to strengthening my extra curriculars.... i'm too confused.... im in touch with some ppl abroad and all of them are suggesting me to go for 2016... as for USEF i dont know a great deal about it.... i mean apart from the events its organizes from time to time can we walk in for counseling? so whether i go for '16 or '17 how should i start off with my application now?
  • thestroxthestrox Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hey User95.. I m also graduating in 2012... After u attain Friday group advising session u can have individual counseling in USEF. But i have also not attain that. As for 16 or 17, I say go for 2017 as told by seriousrem.
  • trinitiantrinitian Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    u necessarily dont need to consider class of 2017. like seriusrem said, start ur preparation way early.
    since u're a hosteler, i'd suggest you to first prepare ur SATs and TOEFL or any other standardized test you plan to take. Manage your time well. Since u wont be studying 24/7, u should get involved in extracurricular too, without forgetting the importance of good grades.
    Yes, it might drive u crazy but dude, you've got to do that. You need to be atleast well rounded.This might help you.
    ^
    well-rounded doesn't cut much anymore.

Almost everyone applying to a great college has a 3.5+ GPA, 2000+ SAT, a few club leaderships, social service, and what not. The adventure is NOT complete there, that's just the bare minimum.

I am not going to name a lot of specific schools, but most top ranked schools want "a rounded class of lopsided students".

People who want more information should research college specific websites. There are certain key elements, which are obvious if thought of, that play a big more in admissions. Not that stuff can guarantee you in (ok... winning a Nobel Prize might), but everything done well will increase your chances.

so bro, you've got to manage your time and skills by urself.
    About USEF, I'd suggest you to attend all the sessions offered by the USEF. That will greatly help you unless you have some elders who can help you with the application process. And yes, you can always walk into the USEF and seek help & you can schedule an individual counseling session as well.

Taking a year off is a decision that you need to take by urself. Start preparing the standardized tests that you plan to take. Also, start searching colleges and shortlisting them. And also attend the various info sessions offered by the USEF. And if you face any kind of confusion or problem, you can always post them on cc. There are some very very well-informed cc users who can greatly help you and who have great knowledge about US higher education and the application process.

Gud luck bro! :)
    thx every1 for d suggestions.... i dont think i can manage ED for 2016 evn if i try.... i looked at cb and the only SAT date shown was for june 4th... will there be one on aug/sept too? im planning to apply to few selected colgs this yr and if it doesnt work out try again nxt yr... but its all so much muddled up i really dont kno where to start.....

@trinitian:its sis by the way :D:D
  • AashishtheaasikAashishtheaasik Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    ^ trinitian, you should hav written Bro/sir :p :p
    exacly same problem as in email to admission officer. :p
  • seriousremseriousrem Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    user95..try your best to apply early..if you find it too stressful later on, apply for ED after a year's gap. that way, it won't be too late.
    so does anyone know when's the next SAT? i mean after the one in june 4th...
  • NeroketoNeroketo Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Why don't you try to register, and check out the dates?
    And if you need the Blue book, I'm willing to give it out for my cost price. (It's brand new)
  • JosephiteJosephite Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    @user95- i guess the next SAT will be on October...and you can apply ED even with your Nov SAT scores...
    Its not too late to start. I would suggest you to apply for the class of 2016.
    @neroketo: thnx for the offer but i already have 1 :D:D

and i already checked out the college board registration but found only the one for june 4th... i was wondering if there were dates on aug or sept..:(

And can anyone tell me more about AP courses? and how will it help my chances? and since my colg dosnt offer any APs how can i go for it...

i finally decided on 2016 (phewww...about time!).... and since APs are only on mays... is it really that good an idea???
    ^ there will certainly be a date for oct/nov....maybe they'll update it later in their website....
    I guess only Lincoln offers APs. It is used for your placement in the college.
  • sarbaraj101sarbaraj101 Registered User Posts: 1,450 Senior Member
    ^
    You can get the exact placement for A-levels in most colleges so taking AP would simply be redundant. Most colleges grant placement for grades of A* / A / B in A-levels (however, this depends on the subject).
    i'm lost... exactly what sort of placements we're talking about here? i was suggested to take APs as colgs like to see that i took the most rigorous courses offered to me... could anyone please tell me more about APs..
    APs are considered to be equivalent to some of the undgrad level courses...so if you score high enough, you gain credit..this will exempt you from taking some of the courses in the college....But as sarba said, you can get placement with you A-level courses as well.
This discussion has been closed.