Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

high sat score; poor GPA ( 59% HSEB; 78% SLC)

halamadrid7halamadrid7 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited June 2011 in Nepal
i got 2300 in SAT reasoning test (maths:800; CR: 700; writing: 700) and near perfect SAT 2 scores ( maths level 2: 780; physics: 750); but my GPA is comparatively pathetic. i don't aspire to get into ivies, but certainly i want to attend a good liberal art college (such as grinnell, lafayette...) as long as they provide me enough funding....

ECA's:
represented school basketball team for 4 years
represented school table tennis team for 4 years; winner of inter school table tennis singles compettition(twice); runner up(once); 2nd runner up(more than 5 times)
represented school team football(soccer) for 4 years

any suggestions???????
Post edited by halamadrid7 on

Replies to: high sat score; poor GPA ( 59% HSEB; 78% SLC)

• M's MomM's Mom Registered User Posts: 4,562 Senior Member
    Just how low are your grades? Or stated differently, what percentile of your graduating class are you in? At Grinnell 62% (among those students whose schools that report this) were in the top 10% of the class, and I doubt anyone below that got a scholarship because there are too many international students with top grades and test scores applying.

Assuming you are in the top 10%, look at Macalester in St. Pauls-Minneapolis, a peer school that also gives generous aid to internationals (12% of the class in international, as it is at Grinnell). If you are below the top 10% but at least in the top 25%, you could still consider applying to both, but I'd suggest that you take a look at somewhat less selective schools, particularly in the midwest that might value the diversity you contribute.
  • halamadrid7halamadrid7 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    thanks bru!!
  • sixstringsrockersixstringsrocker Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    I think you could have a decent chance at Lafayette, provided you have an excellent essay.
  • freakozoidfreakozoid Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    ^I agree. Plus Lafayette especially values your interest in the school above anything else. If you could talk about how the small liberal arts environment and extensive research opportunities (plus other things that may come to your mind) are just right for you, Lafayette could overlook any deficiency in your GPA. (It worked for me, although my GPA was OK). A person from my country with 1800 SAT and horrible GPA got in, but another guy from my school with 2150 SAT and 4.0 GPA got rejected. So make sure you really make your essays shine. :)
    @freakozoid
    Welcome to Lafayette!
  • halamadrid7halamadrid7 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    thank u brothers!!
  • freakozoidfreakozoid Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    ^Thanks! Haha I'm already getting a great welcome especially from the ISA. Hope to see you at Laf this fall! :D Which class year are you in, sixstringsrocker?
    The class of 2014.
This discussion has been closed.