Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Independent Study Abroad vs Structured Exchange Program

bigtencollegekidbigtencollegekid Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi,

This is my first post to CC so I am not very familiar with the blog. I currently attend a Big 10 university and am majoring in economics. I am of junior standing and will be able to graduate in under four years. I am interested in studying abroad in either Norway for the exact reason that Norway does not impose tuition fees on international students enrolled in its undergraduate programs. The problem is that my university does not have an "exchange" program set up with the Norwegian School of Economics, which is the school that I want to attend. What I would like to do is directly enroll in that University and transfer the credits back to my University, side stepping additional fees that might otherwise be imposed on me by participating in an exchange program through my own University. Is there anyone that has directly enrolled in a foreign university and then transferred back the credits? This is the only way that I can see myself studying abroad because it would cost significantly less than through an exchange. Also, if anybody has done this before, do you have to pay a holding fee for your place at the home university?

Best,

bigtencollegekid
This discussion has been closed.