Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will I be able to get into NYU, UT, UC Berkely, UCLA, USC, UMD, UVA, Virginia Tech??????

livelovesaniyalivelovesaniya Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi everyone, I'm currently a sophomore and would really appreciate it if anyone could give me insight on the type of classes and if the ones I am taking are okay. I've consulted several friends, my couselor, and teachers, but would love to have some more information.

Background: I moved from France halfway through freshman year, which is why I could not opt out for higher level classes that year. However, when I was eligible to (which is this year), it was a little overwhelming since I had never taken any rigorous classes in the American system. Nevertheless, I plan to improve my grades immensely next year and would reallu appreciate it if you all could give me some advice on whether the classes I am taking are sufficient and whether they would look good.

9th grade: UW (4.0) W(4.13)
English 9 honors A
French 3 honors A
PE/Health A
Biology A
Algebra 1 A

10th grade:
English 10 honors A
Geometry G/T A
Algebra 2 G/T B
AP U.S Government B
Theatre Arts A
Chemistry G/T B
French 4 honors A

U.S History G/T (going to be taking over the summer)

11th grade: (what I have planned)
English 11 honors
Pre-calc G/T
Modern world history honors
Macroeconomics AP
French AP
Principles of Computer Science AP
Statistics AP

12th grade: (what I plan on taking)
English 12 honors
Calculus AB AP
Microeconomics AP
Physics C Mechanics AP
Computer Science A-AP
Discrete Mathematics G/T
Television

I have possibility of getting a B in AP Statistics next year, but I'm studying over the summer and trying my best to learn as much as possible. Moreover, I plan on getting around 1450 on my SAT

In college, I plan to major in Computer Science and minor in Economics

Colleges I would like to attend: USC, UMD, NYU, UPENN, UT (AUSTIN), UC BERKELY, UVA, UCLA

Thank you so much for whatever advice you have to offer, I really really appreciate it :)

Replies to: Will I be able to get into NYU, UT, UC Berkely, UCLA, USC, UMD, UVA, Virginia Tech??????

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,741 Senior Member
    Do you realize most of these schools will cost you more than $50,000 per year -- with little to no chance of getting any financial aid? Do your parents have $200,000 for your bachelor's degree?
  • livelovesaniyalivelovesaniya Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi @katliamom :) I am more than ready to take up a student loan as long as I get into any of these colleges. Moreover, my parents are willing to pay for two years if I get accepted
    edited April 2017
    I think you are naive about your ability to get a loan for $120,000+ -- no American bank will lend it to you. So it will be your parents who will have to take out the loan. Do they realize that? Will they qualify? Unfortunately, the reality of American education is that the elite schools are very, very expensive -- especially for out-of-state or international students. You can apply, of course, just know the reality that you may not be able to attend -- or finish. So if you really want to study in America, you need to also apply to lesser-known and less expensive schools, consider community college for the first two years, or look at schools where you might qualify for financial aid. The schools on your list either don't give financial aid to out-of-state/international students (Berkeley, UCLA, UVA) or are known to be very stingy with aid (NYU.)
  • livelovesaniyalivelovesaniya Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @katliamom Do I have a chance of getting into the schools I named though?
    Of course you have a chance, especially if you won't be applying for financial aid. How MUCH of a chance depends greatly on your SAT/ACTs, ECs, your competition and... how lucky you are. All these schools are "reaches" for the out of state student and in general.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 26,394 Forum Champion
    edited April 2017
    You are Sophomore and things can change between now and next year. Come back when you have completed your Junior year and have some test scores.

Calculate out your UC GPA? https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Also run the Net Price Calculator for each school and run the numbers by your parents. Have your parents give you a realistic budget. If the school is unaffordable, no reason to apply.
This discussion has been closed.