Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I need a diagnosis to mention depression on my college application?

brightshinesbrightshines Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I had depression with severe anxiety that severely hurt my grades sophomore and junior year. It was only at the end of junior year that I got it under control with medication and meditation. If I didn't mention the depression than it'll look at my colleges like I'm a far worse student than I really am. I went from being a straight A student to mostly B with a few A and some C. Because both my parents are doctors, I never got a diagnosis. If I write about it in the "additional information", will colleges require a diagnosis from me?

Replies to: Do I need a diagnosis to mention depression on my college application?

• CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    If you don't have a diagnosis, how were you prescribed medications? If your parents wrote the prescriptions, that's a serious breech of ethics. Colleges won't require a formal diagnosis- it would be inappropriate for them to do so, but when something like that is the basis for poor grades, it is usually addressed by the guidance counselor, rather than the student.
  • brightshinesbrightshines Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My parents did not write the prescriptions. I went to a psychiatrist whos friends with my parents. It was very informal because they wanted to keep it off my official medical records. But the school I am applying to does not take letters of recommendation so my counselor has no input to my application.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,147 Senior Member
    I would not mention it. It isn’t going to help you get admitted. You could say that you had a health issue during those semesters in the Additional Info section, and then leave it. Do not elaborate.