Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Macaulay advantages?

ArchiteArchite Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
edited February 2012 in New York Colleges
So at this point in my life as a Junior, my goal is getting into Macaulay Honors College at Baruch to get my BBA in finance. Macaulay would be life changing... As it would for anyone wanting to get in. I know Macaulay is incredibly diverse, so I'm going to list some of my defining characteristics, and I hope you guys could let me know if they would help or hurt my chances in being admitted.
-White female
-Lives 1800 miles away from NYC in a small town
-First generation
-Dyslexic with highly rigorous HS schedules earning mostly As, some Bs, and 2 Cs in college, honors, and AP (3.63 GPA... I'm not too happy about that)
-1250 SAT (under bad circumstances, taking 2 more times for a definable improvement)

I suppose my main question is does playing the dyslexia card give me something of advantage? Obviously Macaulay doesn't want someone with a severe impairment, but I think the contrast between my disability and academic efforts say something.
Post edited by Archite on

Replies to: Macaulay advantages?

• sophiesrslysophiesrsly Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    SAT is too low and GPA is too low. When I first went they said the minimum SAT they accept is a 1300, but I believe the average is above 1400. and GPA has to be like mid-high 90's.

What are your ECs like? community service?
  • MacaulayHonorsMacaulayHonors College Rep Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Congratulations on your achievements so far.

Academically eligible applicants to Macaulay Honors generally have a cumulative high school average of 90% or higher. These students also have SAT scores (cumulative of the Math and Reading sections only) that range from 1250 to 1600 or ACT scores that range from 27 - 36. However, although high academic achievement is a requirement, a student who has excellent grades or scores will not be admitted to Macaulay Honors College solely on those grounds. All prospective students are reviewed for admission based on a holistic view of eligibility to the program. A student's recommendations and essays which highlight co-curricular activities, community involvement, and leadership skills are key components of an application.

The mean SAT score for an accepted student last year was just over 1400 (cumulative of the Math and Reading sections) and the mean High School average was 93.1%. [The mean ACT equivalent would be a 31, and the GPA equivalent would be a 3.7].

Please do remember that the mean is an average of the total number of accepted applicants who fell within the eligibility requirements mentioned above. It is NOT a requirement.

For all other information please contact us at 212 729 2929.

You could get information about Macaulay and upcoming events for prospective students by go to: www.macaulay.cuny.edu/info
This discussion has been closed.