Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Which SUNY colleges do I have a chance at?

RAThousandRAThousand Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited June 2012 in New York Colleges
Hey guys. I'm a current highschool senior, and I know this is pretty late, but I'm looking to apply SUNY schools. My highschool grades aren't great, but I'm really not looking to go to a bad school, and trying to avoid attending a community college if possible.

As it stands, I currently have a 75% average, 1500 SAT score, plenty of community service time, internship experience, and unfortunately only 2 A.P courses.

At such a GPA (A 2.0?) and SAT score, what SUNY schools would I be eligible to get into, if any? I'm planning to study computer science, which I know most schools offer with the exception of Canton?

Thank you.
Post edited by RAThousand on

Replies to: Which SUNY colleges do I have a chance at?

• RAThousandRAThousand Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Bump - Can anyone help?
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    Maybe one of the SUNY tech schools? You can find a chart of SUNY admission stats here:

http://www.suny.edu/student/downloads/Pdf/2012_Admissions_qf_stateop.pdf
  • RAThousandRAThousand Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you for the link, it is very informational. But I do know that some of these schools do accept below their admission requirements. For example, I know of a person who has almost the same exact school record as I do, same 75% average and SAT score, but he also has a criminal record, and he was accepted to Old Westbury regardless of their "84-90" HS GPA. Though, I did some research, and Old Westbury doesn't seem to be a very good school. Are there any other schools that might admit a student with a 75% average?
  • SharpShotSharpShot Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    thread bump.
  • Joan52Joan52 Registered User Posts: 693 Member
    Old Westbury is not a very good school. If you live on the island, I would suggest starting at Nassau or Suffolk CC and transferring out.
  • junior7junior7 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Could you give the 2012? Or is it the same?
  • caemincaemin Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    Honestly, a community college would be a good choice for you. You'll get rid of general education requirements, take some foundational courses in CS (thus making sure that it is the best major choice) and have time to build up a better GPA. When you eventually transfer, you'll be evaluated on your college GPA (possibly your HS as well but not nearly as heavily, and maybe your SAT). Work to get a high CC GPA and demonstrate your ability to do college level work.

SUNY Old Westbury is not a good school. I live 25 minutes away and almost no one goes there (and if they do, it's because they are extremely weak students... Nassau Community College is much preferable to Old Westbury).
  • albclemomalbclemom Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    I second the community college suggestion.

If you can leave NYC, check out Hudson Valley Community College in Troy, NY. It has excellent comp sci, engineering and business oriented AA degrees. SUNY Albany gives full credit for the courses taken there and many people with lackluster high school grades take this route. HVCC is building a brand new science center and has private housing options located adjacent to campus.

Finger Lakes Community College has some four year programs and on campus housing for students. Also check out Mohawk Valley Community College, which also has on campus housing. These schools will provide you with the experience of being in college more so than a commuter CC.

NYS really has some excellent community colleges, all of which are part of the SUNY system. Don't feel there is a stigma attached to them. People attend for all different reasons and the student bodies are very diverse. The teachers are usually very caring and really want their students to succeed. This may be what you need to bring your GPA to a 2.5, which is a minimum for most SUNY four-year schools.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.