Questions About Sarah Lawrence College
Hi I have a couple of questions about Sarah Lawrence College. I'm a rising junior in high school and I'm home schooled but this fall I will begin dual enrollment at my local community college. I adore everything about this school. It's my dream school and that's a lot coming from me because I tend to not like the concept of school. What I love about Sarah Lawrence is that, from their motto, they treat applicants as human beings and they don't see them as numbers on a piece of paper. They get to know their possible future students and see way more than how they did on some standardize tests. Ok so, here are my questions.
1. How selective are they about the students they let in? I know it's a rather small school and to be honest, that's partially the basis of it's appeal to me. I went to a small private school for ten years and I loved it.
2. How do i make myself stand out without being dishonest? They are asking me why I should be admitted. What if they don't like me for who I am? I'm not going to glamorize myself just to be accepted only to have them be dissappointed later on. I really think I would thrive there because i believe if you're happy where you are, you will want to try your hardest and go above and beyond. I know I would push myself to to more than what's expected. However, I'm not going to go into an interview and make up all these fake, cliched stories about myself. I want them to know and understand me for me. I want them to know who they are letting into their school. How do I stand out without faking it?
3. I have no special talents. I'm not a gifted artist, I'm not a math wiz, I'm not some special prodigy who will go off and make millions of dollars and say, "Sarah Lawrence is where you all should go because I went there". But, I am passionately curious and I always want to learn something new. What are the teachers like? I've reviewed their classes and travel abroad programs. I think I would major in English or Literature. I want more than anything to travel the world and I'm extremely interested in Paris and Oxford programs. I love teachers who capture my attention and make me never want to leave their class. I'll be there to learn and I wanted to know if the professors would expand my imagination and view of the world like I hope they would.
4. What is the campus like? I've tried google searching the campus, but I only get a thousand pictures of one building over and over again. Is it easy to learn your way around? Is it big? What kind of feel does it have?
5. On another questions and answers page I found, it said that when applying it helps if you're a boy because they're a minority. Well, there's nothing i can do to change the fact that I'm a girl so I guess that there are more girls than boys at this school. What would you say is the boy to girl ratio?
If i have more questions I'll ask them. Thank you for taking the time to answer!