Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

very stressed, going into senior year of high school

smo1916smo1916 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
i live in a suburb of NYC and go to a pretty vigorous public school that is in the top 30s or 40s for the country if i remember correctly and i used to live in the city and attended a top 10 private school in the country but it was very expensive and my dad had some job issues so thats why we moved. i still go to a very vigorous public school that is a step down from my previous private school but not by that much.

i will cut down to the facts. i currently have a 3.0 gpa leaning towards 3.1, and i got a 25 on the act without studying much at all. i have yet to start my essay and i have 2 weeks left of summer. however i have visited a few schools so far, but they all seem too good for me. i visited a university today that i really want to attend, but its average gpa is a 3.5 which at this point there is nothing i can do about.

i used to be an A/high B student until about 8th grade when i suddenly stopped caring and started getting D's and C's like it was normal. this was because i was very tired of putting up with the ridiculous workload that my middle school assigned (the private school in NYC.) however at this point in my life it really DIDNT matter as i wasnt in high school yet. the problem was trying to break this mindset as i further progressed into high school, which i really struggled with doing. i have ADD as well and its always hard to pay attention for lengths of time even with my medication.

since about mid sophomore year my gpa had a very slow but visible incline from mid-low 2's to mid-high 2's but managing time and getting myself to focus on the vigorous continuous work was always a challenge, especially because im on the wrestling team with practices that go until sometimes 7 or 7:30 at night, up from late fall to spring. weekends often had tournaments, and days that were empty i felt too exhausted and in need for some recreational time that i could barely put enough time into my studying to improve my gpa. on top of this, ive always struggled with procrastination, both on and off the computer.

suddenly reality struck towards the final part of my junior year, and i completely dominated all of my tests, and got all A's on my finals/regents, and even a 98 on my english regents. i also got a 4 on my AP environmental exam. i cant really explain what this sudden positive shift in mindset is, but its really triggered by last-minute panic and impossible to shift into through willpower unless suddenly pressured. this shift also happens in other parts of my life, such as waking up 30 minutes late, but getting dressed and prepared so fast out of panic that im out the door 10 minutes earlier than if i had woken up on time. this short final period of my junior year is really what boosted up my gpa to a 3.0.

but i feel very anxious and regretful. my school is so good that the average gpa and sat/act test scores is still well beyond what i have now. my friends arent even studious, theyre considered "average" but theyre still looking into colleges like syracuse or fordham like its theyre safety net. these schools are barely even in my reach range. i know people say dont worry about other people but i feel like i am actually the WORST student in my grade right now, and i get really embarrassed and anxious whenever my friends or anyone start talking about colleges. its actually much worse than it sounds.

the reason why i didnt have time to plan out my essay or study for the ACT during the summer is because i had a job as a day camp counselor that lasted for 8 weeks from 8 AM to 5 PM, and by the time i get home im usually too exhausted to focus on anything. on weekends i find myself unable to concentrate on my ACT studies, and i end up hanging out with my friends or just sitting around the house. my job ended last friday, and i have 2 empty weeks left of summer which i plan to rigorously study for my act and start writing my essay for.

if im able to focus and get a tutor before my act test in mid october, i believe i can crank out at least a 27 or 28 since i got a 25 with no preparation. however with only a 3.0 gpa and limited time to write my essay, i really fear the worst. of course im fully aware i can get into at least 2 average colleges in my area right now, but i really dont want another 2 years of stress and hassle trying to conquer my attention problems and bringing my gpa up to an acceptable level just so that i can transfer colleges and do it all over again. i really want to pick a good college that i like from the start and stick with it until i really kick off my future.

i guess the point of this post is im worried and im wondering if theres any advice for this and also if theres anything anything i can do at all to further improve my chances of getting into a college despite my issues. thanks.

Replies to: very stressed, going into senior year of high school

• awkwardcityawkwardcity Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Do you want to go to a SUNY school, the college for for SUNY is coming up in NYC, I'm going to the one in Nassua County because it's closer and its September 16th. Most schools only use your grades from Freshman to Junior year, SUNY schools give the most aid and are highly ranked and you can start at one and transfer somewhere else. Or start at a lower SUNY and tranfer to a better one. I'm applying to a SUNY that is ranked highly regionally but is still really great nationally just not as good as the other SUNY schools just because I honestly like the school. Look at the percentiles, even if you fall low it still means kids with your grades get in and your grades arnt "low" they just aren't going to get you into an honors program right on the spot. Looks at the 25, 50 and 75 percentile for Gpa and for ACT scores. See where you are and make target, reach and safety schools.
This discussion has been closed.