Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My dad won't let me got to my dream college!!

kaylagcrykaylagcry Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
So, before I start out the topic, I would like to explain a little about myself. My name is Kayla I am 13 and I'm in eighth grade. I live in Chicago, Illinois and I am already thinking about college. Some may say that thinking about college is a bad thing for my age since I'm a little to young to be worrying about college but I think of it as getting prepared and narrowing my college list. I had started thinking about colleges just a few months ago as I saw one of my older cousins going to Columbia college in Chicago. Another thing that brought me to thinking about colleges is that I started thinking about my future and what I would want to do in my life. Fast forward a little bit (if I didn't shorten the story a little bit than this would get a little too long and nobody would read it.) and I have already decided my top college and where I will be applying to. Now this is where we come to the main idea of this post. My top college is NYU, which is obviously all the way in New York. When I realized how much I wanted to go to this school I didn't really tell any of my family members because they get a little upset at the fact that I would like to leave Chicago. But the time came where I did tell my 15-year-old sister and she wasn't particularly excited about my college choice. She told me that I was too young to be thinking about college and that I should not be worrying about it. She wasn't very happy about how I wanted to go to New York neither. But I guess it was a bad idea to tell my sister because she ended up telling my mom while we were having breakfast a few months ago. At the time my father was working and couldn't join us for breakfast so it was just my mother, my sister and me. When my mother heard that I would want to go to New York she was a little upset. But after a few moments she told me that she would support me in whatever I wanted to do and that she is okay with the fact that I would want to move out of state. But once I told my father about the idea he didn't seem to be as supportive as my mother. He told me that New York is a bad place and that a young woman should not be living in such a place. A few months later and he still tries to tell me how bad New York is with every chance he gets. He always tells me "You haven't even been there. Why would you want to go to such a terrible place." And I always have to explain to him that I want to start a career and really be successful and I feel that New York would be the best place to do that. I have currently looked into colleges in Chicago and there are some that I do like but they aren't as great as NYU. One of the colleges I started looking into actually contacted me and sent me a hand book. My dad was thrilled to see that I was interested in some colleges in chicago but all I kept thinking about was "How come NYU didn't send me anything?" But I still have to find a way to get my dad to understand why I would want to go to New York and for him to accept the fact that I will most likely move out of Chicago in the future.

Replies to: My dad won't let me got to my dream college!!

• LaggingLagging Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    1. Are finances a concern? NYU is going to probably cost quite a bit more than an in-state option and is notorious for bad aid. If your parents are the ones paying for college then they have every right to not support expensive out of state options.

2. You don't need to be in NY for a successful career and there are plenty of other colleges that will provide just as much, if not more, opportunity.

3. You are too young to be firmly deciding where you want to go. NYU is competitive and chances of admission are slim, so setting your heart on it is not a smart move. You are very likely to change your preferences in the next four years as well.

If you like the idea of NYU, find schools with similar features nearby. Focus on doing well in school and doing the things you love then re-visit colleges when you have a realistic idea of where you should be applying based on your stats. You can certainly apply to NYU down the road, but don't fixate on it.

The title of this thread is a bit silly - you have to get into your "dream college" before your dad can be the reason you can't go.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,296 Senior Member
    I agree with Dad.
    If you really want to go to NYU why are you wasting time on this site instead of focusing on preparing yourself for high school?
    What if you don't have the grades, scores, or money to get into NYU?
    Right now NYU is $72k. That is a LOT of money. They are known for having poor financial aid.
  • PrimeMeridianPrimeMeridian Registered User Posts: 1,224 Senior Member
    It sounds like you're in love with NYC, rather than with NYU.

I'd be willing to bet that you cannot articulate why NYU is the best choice school for you, other than the fact that it's in NYC.

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,644 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    "I always have to explain to him that I want to start a career and really be successful and I feel that New York would be the best place to do that." You have lots and lots of research to do before you even get an idea what that college and others look for. (Hint, it's not your "career" and wanting to be in NYC.) You have lots of high school to experience before you even know if you'll qualify. So really, quit trying to convince dad about something so far off. Spend your time prepping to be a good applicant to various colleges. Dig into what they say makes a good applicant.

And aunt bea means 72k per year.
This discussion has been closed.