Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bmcc overcharges International student

BmccStudentBmccStudent Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
To whom it may concern,
I am an F1 student and I have graduated from BMCC last year. Last night I was going through some school papers with my lawyer and we found out that I have been charged the international student rate even though I am a resident and attended BMCC after 2 years of living in New York (live with my sponsor whom is American so can totally prove that). I called the college and they said that in order to be considered resident I had to file a residency form otherwise there is nothing they can do. I kindly asked if it was possible to get a refund since I been in NYC for quite long time, but never filed the residency form. I was overcharged about 15000 dollars so should I take this to court? My lawyer is willing to do that

Thanks for your valuable time and answers

An unfairly treated bmcc international student

Replies to: Bmcc overcharges International student

  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    No. You cannot achieve residency in NY simply by living there to go to college. If you had filed a residency petition, it likely would have been denied. Resident tuition rates are for people who live in NY and pay taxes to NY State.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,117 Super Moderator
    Your F1 status is specifically for the purpose of attending school in the US. You ca not get in city tuition based on your being in NYC at CUNY to attend school. You have no basis for which to establish residency or get in-city/ in state tuition
This discussion has been closed.