I'm wrapping up work on my ED application this weekend and figured I'd see what you guys think re: my chances at NYU (CAS, specifically).
- CR: 740
- M: 640
- W: 690
- Total: 2070
- School Newspaper for Four Years (Editor in Chief for Two)
- Link Crew ("Peer Mentors" for helping freshmen transition from middle school to high school)
- Art Production for School Play (Helped paint backdrops)
- Drama Club (Freshman year, the club no longer existed after that year)
- Honor Roll, '04-'05, Sem 2
- Theatre Arts Achievment Award, '03
- Honorable Menetion Finalist in National Hispanic Recognition Program, '05-'06
Some of the more interesting courses I've taken/am taking are honors and AP Bio, honors Chem, honors Algebra II, AP Statistics, AP Lit & Comp, psychology, sociology, and philosophy. I took Japanese at a local community college because it's the language I wanted to take, but my school didn't offer it, so I had the credits transferred to my HS to fulfill my graduation requirements (which is pretty much what ruined my GPA).
And the sympathy card, for whatever it's worth: Only Hispanic child from a single (non college-educated, immigrant) mom household, first American-born generation.
So is it a huge reach? I'm hoping my newspaper involvement, essays, and SAT score will help make up for my not-so-impressive GPA. Or should I be calling the men in white coats, instead?