Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
johnstjohnst Registered User Posts: 381 Member
edited December 2004 in New York University
Who here is applying ED to stern, if you are could you post your stats, thanks! include SAT, rank, ECs, awards.. just include everything lol
Post edited by johnst on

Replies to: ED Stern

• mattistotlemattistotle Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    Matthew Heintz

top 1-2% of class
    1520 Sat ( 780m/740v)
    207 psat

AP classes
    10th:AP chem (scored a 4)

11th:AP physics (3)
    lang & comp(4)
    U.S. History (5)

12: AP Calc AB, AP psychology, AP bio

4.8787 weighted gpa
    3.9 unweighted gpa

Sat II's
    750 math IIc
    690 math Ic
    720 World history
    720 chemisty
    680 U.S. History
    660 writing (rotook oct 9)

Clubs:
    10-12 Math team (co-captain)
    10-12 Science bowl
    9-12 Science olympiad (device captain)
    11-12 Rotary Interact (did community service)
    9-12 World Cultures Club
    10-12 National Honor society
    9-12 Chess Team
    9-12 Quiz bowl
    11-12 Suffolk County math team (qualified because of outstanding job in math team)
    9-10 roller hockey
    9 winter track

Awards:
    a Top scorer at Suffolk County mathematics teachers association math league,
    High Honor Roll
    American Mathematics Competition commended team member (I scored a 95)
    Suffolk County Mathematics Team All-Star
    National Honor Society
    New York State Assembly Citation in Regional Science Bowl
    Bronze medal in Science Olympiad

outside of school:
    worked 20 hours a week during 11th grade as a telemarker
    Roller Hockey
    currently work at C&M sports apparel about 12 hours a week
  • nyer03nyer03 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    ED Finance

SAT: 1600
    top 1% of class
    Sat II's
    780 math IIc
    790 math Ic
    700 writing (messed up)

EC (major only)
    1. run three incorporated businesses - one which is being bought by a Fortune 500
    2. Math team, Debate, etc.

Do I stand a chance?
  • UnrealFireUnrealFire Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    nyer03 - it's a good thing you applied ED, otherwise you would have no chance
    i know. Stern is freakin hard
  • mattistotlemattistotle Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    nyer i think your lying lol
    ok. whatever. what do you other people think? I don't think think I am stern material. Am I? You know, since Stern is so HARD! I probably will not get in!
  • johnstjohnst Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    perfect SAT, top 1% rank, nearly perfect SAT IIs, you supposedly run three inc businesses....what else do you think they want
  • johnstjohnst Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    anyone else?
  • Cruiser749Cruiser749 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    1350 SAT
    3.8 GPA

8 AP courses over 4 years, very good private school in Westchester County, NY; Indian (the asian kind) male

ECs: 4 years of Forensics, 4 years of Hospital Volunteer work, deliver meals on Sundays to elderly people, National Honor Society member, Krav Maga Self Defense, and a few others

Awards: AP Scholar, AMC 10 School Winner, National Honor Society, National Latin and Spanish Honor societies, and school honor roll.

I really, really like NYU, and I ED'd for Finance. I really hope I do get in, but I'm nowhere near the same level as the rest of you, which makes me kind of sad.
  • lindz0722lindz0722 Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    gosh, how could you only get a 700 on your writing SAT II..............

come on, of course you're going to get in.

unless stern doesn't want someone who already runs three businesses, one of which is being bought by a fortune 500 company. they might think you think you're too good for them.
  • UnrealFireUnrealFire Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    lindz - those aren't his real stats, he was kidding...
    lol, guys.
    i almost forgot ... i also discovered the cure for cancer back in the third grade. Thanks for picking up on my little satire, unrealfire. sorry lol
  • mag00mag00 Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    does it help though, the businesses thing? I really do run/co-run four companies:

- An Accounting one (also an LLC) (I work with my mom and I do the bookkeeping for 5 companies [2 furniture stores, 2 jewlerys, and 1 computer store)

- A Real-estate managment company (I basically manage my father's company's buildings/properties)

- My digital studio (I do all the visual work, and my brother does the audio, we do web, identity, print, video, and audio)

- Mecho, LLC (Actually it's my fathers but I run it now since he never has enough time)

So would all this REALLY make a difference? I'm asking honestly because I do want to go to Stern (even though I'd prefer Wharton) but my stats, for my first 3 HS years, aren't that strong. I also had an Internship with Ernst & Young, LLP during my 10th grade summer.

Anyways, would all this really make a difference? If so, where would I add things like this on the application?
  • kiki81nykiki81ny Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    Mag00-
    I do think that an extracurricular like that can be important. I myself started an internet business last year and am including it on my application. I used it as my answer to the short answer question asking why I was applying to the school I am (Stern). I also put it as my most important extracurricular activity because I think it's important to show them that I have the entrepreneurial spirit. You should definitely include your businesses.

Kiki
This discussion has been closed.