Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

heard from NYU - got into GSP

Replies to: heard from NYU - got into GSP

• mattistotlemattistotle Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    My friend said his friend got in GSP and he applied to Stern, I thought this didnt happen.
  • NYUGSPDADNYUGSPDAD Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi and congrats for getting accepted to NYU. Yes, NYU because those are the only three letters that will appear on your diploma. That said, my daughter who also was accepted to UMich and her friend (accepted to Vasser) are GSP freshman and are happy and love NY and NYU. The courses are based on the Great Books program initiated at UChicago, Yale and Columbia U. These schools still use the program and one professor we know teaches the curric at C as well as GSP and says that the profs think highly of the program and the high caliber of the students. You get to skip the huge lecture classes for smaller rooms and far fewer people. You get to go to an incredible mansion in Florence in your Soph year if you like. My D takes a CAS elective in her Frosh year. In soph year you can start taking more electives and figure out your major if your haven't already. If most kids were presented with a choice between standard CAS and GSP, after a quick review, I think they'd pick GSP for the smaller class size and personal attention. And there's more good stuff. Enjoy!!!
  • faxmachinefaxmachine Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks and I am psyched to go to NYU. I know that I'll love it.
    As for any questions -no my school does not rank but we do have a percentile ( top 10%, etc) and I go to a well-known catolic school in nj. and the letter came in a semi-big envolope.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,061 Senior Member
    Just thought you guys might like to see what Admissions posted on their bulletin board today.

"Notification of early decision applicants does not begin until December 15th. Applicants should not anticipate receiving a notification letter from our office any earlier then that date. While we will begin our notification on this date, all early decision applicants will not be notified on this date. Students can expect to hear from us any time between the 15th and January 1st.

Please be advised that we only notify applicants of an admissions decision via the regular mail. We do not notify applicants of a decision via the internet or e-mail.

Some applicants have been notified that they have been selected for our General Studies Program. Notification of these students will be on-going."
  • kjayson7kjayson7 Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    Seriously, this admissions officer needs to study grammar again.
  • mattistotlemattistotle Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    why cant they have rolling ED acceptance lol
  • mauiboymauiboy Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Wow, I wonder what I will do if I get accepted into the GSP. I believe it is not binding, correct? And it still costs the same, right?
  • ncmomncmom Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    That is correct. It is not a binding agreement and the cost is the same. The positives are that you got into NYU early, but you may still consider other options.
  • MB716MB716 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I just got into GSP too. At first I was like "there's no way I'm doing this" but now I'm leaning towards it.
    First of all the counselors at my school are all about it. Also, I called and asked them some questions and the eight-percent figure really made me feel better.
    For me, though, the biggest reason is that NYU is the best reputed school that I applied to and at the end of the day I'm going to be best off with an NYU degree than the same thing from anywhere else.

My two biggest grievances at this point, are that I know that I'm qualified to do the work in the CAS now and I don't want other students to think I'm just really dumb 'cause the school put me in this program. And I also don't want it to feel like another two years of high school.

But, like I said, I'm still leaning towards it.

BTW, my app. looked like this -- any ideas about why they thought I couldn't do CAS?

1260 SATS (650 verbal, 610 math)
    3.6 (unweighted) GPA
    1 AP last year - (art history) 3 on the exam
    7 courses this year (2 APs, english and environmental science)
    Lots of performing arts extracurriculars
    Essay was a risky subject but it turned out pretty good
    Recs from AP Art and French IV teachers
    Supplemental recs from Columbia profs that I took classes w. over the summer
  • ncmomncmom Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    Congratulations, I say take it and be happy. You will have a degree from NYU and I can't imagine that it would be anything like high school. It's NYU, you will work hard no matter what program you are in. I am no expert, but from everything else I have read on this board, your SAT and your GPA might be just a bit low. I actually think they are great, but there is so much competition. Obviously, the admissions board saw potential to make the GSP offer to you. Good luck!
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,061 Senior Member
    Congrats, mb716. I can understand your feelings about GSP. Initially, I think it's disappointing to students who are referred but look at it this way, you got into NYU! Presumably NYU was your first choice school if you applied E.D., so you should be happy. :) It may be a little different than you thought but it's still NYU. From what I've heard the majority of GSP students are happy with the program. They will be holding a couple of information sessions in December for those students referred. If you're able to get into the city, I would recommend attending one. Then you will have to make your decision, yes or no. They'll want your decision within a couple of weeks of those sessions so get as much information as you can and make the decision that is right for you. Best of luck to you!
  • Hoo_29Hoo_29 - Posts: 552 Member
    As long as you can still transfer to the CAS, and live with all the other students in dorms, etc., I would do it.
  • askaboutNYUaskaboutNYU Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Don't be worried about other student thinking that your dumb because you are in gsp. While schools do tend to stick together here there is no resentment or stereotypes about people in any particular school. The only bad part about GSP is that you won't be able to take a lot of your major requirements in your sophomore year because you won't be in CAS. This means that your senior year will be a bit more difficult but don't worry about it. NYU is the best school in the world (at least for me) and you should be proud of yourself for getting in and excited for your future.
    Good Luck
  • monabala86monabala86 Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    hey
    i applied to nyu as well, RD. I was wondering what you guys think. I initially thought of it as a reach school, but what do you guys think of my chances into getting into there gsp program(or their liberal arts if u think i even got a shot)? i want to go to either ny or d.c. bc the u.n. and the world bank are located there and i want a career dealing w the development of third world countries. anyways these r my stats:
    G.p.a 3.75w
    act 27
    sat 1240
    business club
    drug prevention club
    work experience
    upward grade trend- (first sem/sec. sem.)
    freshman 3.57/3.57
    soph.-3.5/3.7
    junior-3.8/4.33
    asian-indian
    what do u guys think?
  • UnrealFireUnrealFire Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    monabela86 - there is really no need to post on this 3 different threads (that I have read so far). I'm not going to reply to your post.
This discussion has been closed.