right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

NYU CAS Orientation

hoodrychhoodrych 11 replies5 threads New Member
edited June 2011 in New York University
What do the placement exams determine? What different types of exams are there?

I saw some videos of the "variety show" at the orientation on youtube. I read on the website that all the events are mandatory but is it really mandatory? If i didn't go to the "variety show" would they care.. It just doesn't look like my type of thing. DO you have to participate in the actual show? You can't just watch?

Thanks
edited June 2011
4 replies
Post edited by hoodrych on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: NYU CAS Orientation

• suhstacysuhstacy 97 replies95 threads Junior Member
    The placement exams determine whether you should be placed in honors or not. There are Chemistry, Language and Calculus/Quantative Reasoning. - and no biology. Also, if you don't want to take any language, you can test out of it.

I'm not exactly sure if the attendance at variety show is mandatory, but the participation is optional.
    · Reply · Share
  • milkandsugarmilkandsugar 2842 replies27 threads Senior Member
    CAS Orientation is for getting into the spirit of NYU, learning about your academic advising, your environment and meeting some of your peers. I think all the activities are team building and bonding experiences. I think it is an expectation for you to go.
    · Reply · Share
  • hoodrychhoodrych 11 replies5 threads New Member
    if the placement exams determine if you will be in an honors course or not, what is the Presidential Honors Program?
    · Reply · Share
  • jazzcatastrophejazzcatastrophe 757 replies17 threads Member
    The placement exams can only place you into the honors versions of general chemistry and principles of biology, and possibly calculus. The other placement tests, language and quantitative reasoning won't place you into any honors classes, but can place you out of your language and quantitative reasoning requirements.
    That being said, the Presidential Honors Program is a separate program that the top 5% of CAS freshmen are invited to join. Rising sophomores can also apply for the program towards the end of their freshman year. Students in the program are required to maintain a minimum 3.65 GPA, attend three lectures a semester, have an additional zero credit class every other week, do some kind of community service, and complete the honors track in their major. Freshmen in the program get to go on a trip to Florence over winter break for really cheap, somewhere in the range of $300 to $500. Sophomores get to go on a trip over spring break, and they can choose from several different locations. Oh also freshmen in the program have to take a Freshman Honors Seminar as one of their classes.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity