right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Do I have a chance?

ilovecookieilovecookie 1 replies2 threads New Member
edited June 2011 in New York University
So here's the deal. I am going to be a senior in high school next year and I took the SAT for the first time in March and got an 1810. Hoping to raise my score, I studied really hard (probably too hard) up until the June test. Somehow my score actually went down, which is really freaking me out right now because I wanted to do ED NYU while taking some SAT Subject tests in October. I know people always say that there is time, but I really had my head set on going there and I really wanted to just be done with this exam after two times.

My school hasn't told us our GPA's yet because they have to take into account last quarter report-card grades, which usually come out in a month or so, but I'm pretty sure it's a 90.

I'm part of a few clubs, I played lacrosse for three years, have been playing piano for 5 years, and I have done some volunteer work.

Give me your honest opinions. Do I have a dead rat's chance of getting into NYU (college of a&s)?
Also if anyone has any tips that would be really helpful! I am having a meltdown over this whole exam gone wrong thing.
edited June 2011
6 replies
Post edited by ilovecookie on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do I have a chance?

• SLUMOMSLUMOM 3581 replies29 threads Senior Member
    First of all, can your family afford NYU ? Not known for meeting need!
    If you say you will be full pay & not eligible for financial aid, then no problem.

If you need financial aid, going ED is not a wise decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • Missy7Missy7 42 replies20 threads Junior Member
    What are the average ACT scores for NYU students?
    · Reply · Share
  • giatns4210giatns4210 310 replies134 threads Member
    I think the 25th percentile is 28 and the 75th percentile is 31. Not absolutely positive though.
    · Reply · Share
  • NYU2013NYU2013 1738 replies42 threads Senior Member
    @SLUMOM
    Why wouldn't OP apply ED? If OP doesn't apply ED, IMO they do not have a better than average chance of getting in - an 1810 SAT is well under the low 25th percentile. If OP is applying to CAS, the low side of the SAT is 1900. People into the 2000+ were getting pushed into LSP for this past year's admissions. If OP applied ED, he would stand a better chance of getting in - however, ED is generally assumed to produce lower fin aid. Obviously, if NYU is not affordable, OP can back out of ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • green89green89 26 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Honestly an 1810 is too low for NYU. Work on getting it to 2050+ and your chances will be much better.
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeGuruCollegeGuru 169 replies17 threads Junior Member
    Try the ACT because that is offered in September which would still allow you to sit for subject tests in October.

But it never hurts to apply, hopefully something else about your application stands out.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity