Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances of admission into NYU?

DaIndianDaIndian Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
edited July 2011 in New York University
My unweighted gpa is 3.08 and my weighted gpa is 4.4. My sat score is 2010. Please help and feel free to be honest. I know that my unweighted is rather low.
Post edited by DaIndian on

Replies to: What are my chances of admission into NYU?

• NYU2013NYU2013 Registered User Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    Your unweighted GPA is very low for NYU admission. I'd say Stern and CAS are probably out. If you're applying to Steinhardt or Tisch, you might have a chance since they are more portfolio/audition/etc. based.
  • DaIndianDaIndian Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Thanks. Anyone else can help? I have plenty of volunteer experience, worked at a fast food chain, manager of a school team, member of jv tennis, nhs applicant, participated in student council, and volunteered overseas in another country.
  • eljamaseljamas Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    You still have time to bring up your GPA a small amount during the first part of your senior year.

With that said, NYU would be a high reach. I'd say you have a low chance of admission with a 3.0 GPA but nothing's impossible. Your SAT average is average for NYU (same exact score as me, actually :P). If you could bring it up to 2150+ your chances would be increased.
  • JimSauceJimSauce Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Right now your chances are very low, but there's still a chance. Try your hardest to bring up your GPA and SAT scores, and make your ECs, essay, and recommendation letters stand out. With that you'll have a better shot. Good luck! :D

EDIT: Where did you volunteer overseas? What kind of program was it?
  • jjohn42jjohn42 Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    there is no way your unweighted is a 3.08 and you weighted is a 4.4, if your school reports weighted, you must have calculated your uw incorrectly.
  • JagiellonJagiellon Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I got in with a 3.3, which is considered below average, but that was in Tisch. Your SATs are, I think, better than okay. If you really do a stellar job your first semester senior year (which means applying Regular Decision), you should have a chance.
This discussion has been closed.