right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Taking 5 classes?

shadowzoidshadowzoid 340 replies200 threads Member
edited August 2011 in New York University
Most of you are probably familiar that most other colleges requires 5 instead of 4 classes a semester. Yet NYU only allows 4. Why is that? Do you think it would be hard to take 5? I mean in all honesty, Berkeley's standard is 5 and they are known for high grade deflation on extremly competitive situations where a score above 90 can still be curved to a B.
edited August 2011
3 replies
Post edited by shadowzoid on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Taking 5 classes?

• yoyoma999yoyoma999 40 replies1 threads Junior Member
    You aren't prevented from taking more than 4, just discouraged. Tuition only covers up to 18 and since NYU is a semester school that means taking 4 classes usually equals 16 credits.
    · Reply · Share
  • shadowzoidshadowzoid 340 replies200 threads Member
    I understand that, but it is still different than other colleges that are a semester system (JHU, Duke, Wake Forest, Fordham, etc). Even though the credit things work out that way, the credits of each class is an arbitrary number.

Also, we are prevented from taking more than 4 during your first semester Freshman year (if you know of exceptions, then please tell me so I'll be less apprehensive in pushing to get 5 classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • hellodockshellodocks 730 replies2 threads Member
    I took 5 classes more semesters than I took 4. Add a two-credit elective or for your minor. Or (I don't know if you're in Stern), when you get to upper-level courses, most are 3 credits with the same amount of work, so you can actually take 6 in a semester.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity