Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.
Visit our COVID-19 resource page.
Your College Confidential guide bot.
Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.
IMPORTANT NEWS:CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!
Low GPA, downwrd trend...do I still have a chance at Gallatin?
School: Competitive public (#100 on Newsweek ranking, #250 on Washington Post)
Race/Gender: Asian Female
Income Bracket: 250k+
GPA: 3.7 UW, 4.26 W
SAT I: 800 CR, 780 M, 780 W
SAT II: 800 US History, 750 Bio E, 730 Math II
Rank: Top 7%
AP Classes: Completed 6, passed 7 AP tests (AP Euro - 5, AP English Lit - 5, AP Calc -3, APUSH - 5, AP Physics - 3, AP Bio -5, AP Lang - 4)
Senior year schedule:
AP Econ/Gov (We go to each class every other day)
AP Spanish V
Great Books (Standard-level class, but I think I can get a rec letter from teacher explaining what it is)
Also taking Geography and Philosophy through dual enrollment.
Additionally, I took three college classes during the summer, with two through Gov School summer program (Religion, Music) and another through dual enrollment (Microecon). Got A's in all three classes.
- Debate team ("Technical adviser" - in charge of handling evidence and stuff)
- Quiz Bowl team (Restarted team, Captain)
- Volunteered 150 hours at Youth Encouragement Services, program that works with at-risk, inner-city kids
- Peer Tutor, 100 hours
- Youth In Government Club - Attended Youth Legislature four years and Model UN two years, have positions (Blue Hour Floor Leader for Youth Leg, part of Secretariat for Model UN)
- Played Cello, six years
- "Resume adviser"
- Math Team/Mu Alpha Theta (Uhhh...wrote prealgebra test. Also won a fairly prestigious math award by scoring in the" top 50" out of 600 test takers.)
- National Merit Semi-Finalist
- National Spanish Exam Gold Award (95% and above) - three years
- Selected for TN's Governor's School for the Humanities (< 25% acceptance rate)
- Top 5 in National History Bee for TN
- Top 10% for school during last three years
- AP Scholar with Distinction (lol)