right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Low GPA, downwrd trend...do I still have a chance at Gallatin?

chaosakitachaosakita 1294 replies145 threads Senior Member
edited December 2011 in New York University
Could someone chance me?

School: Competitive public (#100 on Newsweek ranking, #250 on Washington Post)
State: TN
Race/Gender: Asian Female
Income Bracket: 250k+

GPA: 3.7 UW, 4.26 W
SAT I: 800 CR, 780 M, 780 W
ACT: 35
SAT II: 800 US History, 750 Bio E, 730 Math II

AP Classes: Completed 6, passed 7 AP tests (AP Euro - 5, AP English Lit - 5, AP Calc -3, APUSH - 5, AP Physics - 3, AP Bio -5, AP Lang - 4)

Senior year schedule:

AP Econ/Gov (We go to each class every other day)
AP Spanish V
AP Psych
AP Stat
Anatomy Honors
Great Books (Standard-level class, but I think I can get a rec letter from teacher explaining what it is)

Also taking Geography and Philosophy through dual enrollment.

Additionally, I took three college classes during the summer, with two through Gov School summer program (Religion, Music) and another through dual enrollment (Microecon). Got A's in all three classes.

EC's:

- Debate team ("Technical adviser" - in charge of handling evidence and stuff)
- Quiz Bowl team (Restarted team, Captain)
- Volunteered 150 hours at Youth Encouragement Services, program that works with at-risk, inner-city kids
- Peer Tutor, 100 hours
- Youth In Government Club - Attended Youth Legislature four years and Model UN two years, have positions (Blue Hour Floor Leader for Youth Leg, part of Secretariat for Model UN)
- Played Cello, six years
- "Resume adviser"
- Math Team/Mu Alpha Theta (Uhhh...wrote prealgebra test. Also won a fairly prestigious math award by scoring in the" top 50" out of 600 test takers.)

Awards:

- National Merit Semi-Finalist
- National Spanish Exam Gold Award (95% and above) - three years
- Selected for TN's Governor's School for the Humanities (< 25% acceptance rate)
- Top 5 in National History Bee for TN
- Top 10% for school during last three years
- AP Scholar with Distinction (lol)
edited December 2011
15 replies
Post edited by chaosakita on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Low GPA, downwrd trend...do I still have a chance at Gallatin?

• eljamaseljamas 372 replies33 threads Member
    ...a 3.7 UW is low?
    · Reply · Share
  • shimmershimmer 230 replies13 threads Junior Member
    Your GPA is a bit low but otherwise everything checks out.
    · Reply · Share
  • ufiscoolufiscool 317 replies122 threads Member
    Uh... you're in.
    · Reply · Share
  • chaosakitachaosakita 1294 replies145 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for spending your time on me ;)

A 3.7 GPA is seriously not that great for a top school, especially coupled with my downward trend. And it is subjective to think what a good GPA is. There are people who have worked hard to get a 3.7, yes. But there are people who have worked hard to get a 3.5, a 3.0, or to even graduate high school.

It takes about one minute to make this thread and maybe two for people to skim through it and comment on it. All of us are here on our own personal free time; if people decide that my thread is ridiculous, they can just not comment on it.
    · Reply · Share
  • sohappy1sohappy1 8 replies0 threads New Member
    Ok, but the chance threads are so people can get other people's opinions on whether or not they have a chance on get into a school (because they are in the borderline range or they have a strange situation). People like you, who use this thread to brag about how perfect they are or how much they've done in high school, are not using this thread for what is intended for. Hopefully in the future you don't use it to brag ;)
    · Reply · Share
    I am not bragging. I don't consider what I've done to be anything special. You clearly read negative intent into a random chance thread when it wasn't there.

To be honest, I do think my thread title is a bit hyperbolic. But it does help attract readers, and I don't think there is anything wrong getting a second opinion.
    · Reply · Share
  • eljamaseljamas 372 replies33 threads Member
    NMSF and a 2360 isn't 'special'? Um...

You're into any school within NYU... don't bother bumping this thread again.
    · Reply · Share
    SAT scores are only such a big part of your application. Also, NYU stopped giving out NMF scholarships this year. Shows how much they care about that.
    · Reply · Share
  • sohappy1sohappy1 8 replies0 threads New Member
    Then please DON'T apply. You clearly do not want to go here and you probably wouldn't fit in anyway. Try Harvard.
    · Reply · Share
  • NYU2013NYU2013 1751 replies42 threads Senior Member
    You will most likely get into NYU, with scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
    Then please DON'T apply. You clearly do not want to go here and you probably wouldn't fit in anyway. Try Harvard.

Wow, sound bitter much? I just wanted an innocent chance thread that I made because I was bored and here you go on telling me how I have no self esteem and am not very smart. Actually, it is you that lacks reading comprehension. Maybe my SAT scores would suggest that I am overqualified for admission, but the thing is, I wanted my topic title answered with regards to my GPA and downward trend. I am really confused why you would just start an account to "call me out" and I really think you're probably someone's sockpuppet. If you're bored like me too, you don't need to put people down and act so tough. Or at least you can go **** someone else.

In other words, "wutttttttt"
    · Reply · Share
  • sittlesittle 66 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Your Stats are good enough for NYU hands down. I'd worry about having something to differentiate yourself from applicants that have as good if not better sats than yours. As far as I see, your ECs seem like typical academic activities you do to get into college, not because you care about them. What, if anything, do you actually care about and why do you care about it?

Also, I think it's absolutely disgusting to post your income bracket. NYU admissions is need blind, although they basically give no financial aid, so mostly only wealthy students go here.
    · Reply · Share
  • FortunateZealFortunateZeal 29 replies8 threads Junior Member
    You do not have a chance at NYU. mainly cause you don't have the brain to figure out that you are already a really good match to the school. How about you do some digging and look up old decision threads and compare yourself. Your a decent candidate but I hate it when people post stats like these to 'show off'.
    · Reply · Share
  • PsychoanalyzePsychoanalyze 100 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Uhhh.... you got a 35 on the ACT, girl! You'll probably get in with SCHOLARSHIPS!
    · Reply · Share
    @sitte: it seems rather standard to post your income bracket, at least for general chance threads. I just copied and pasted my general chance thread post. Sorry if it disturbed you. And what sort of unique ECs should I have had? I have been really involved in most of the activities I listed, and I gave a lot of other interests that I haven't had support in or otherwise been able to distinguish myself notably through them.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity