right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

33 year old sophomore transfer to Fordham, NYU and Hunter

Chekur6Chekur6 2 replies3 threads New Member
edited November 2011 in New York University
Long story short (kinda), I'm 33 years old and changing careers. I was an architectural drafter but got laid off twice. Now I'm majoring in Environmental Science. Here's the rub. I never went to college until now. I have a GED and my high school GPA is low (I don't know how low), about 30 hours from a community college in TN, a 3.5 GPA (college), never taken the SAT, ACT or any standardized tests. Apparently I don't need to take them since I'm over 25. Working and walking my dog are the extent of my extracurricular activities. Anyway, my wife and I are moving to the big (rotten) apple and I've applied as a transfer to NYU, Fordham, and Hunter. My wife is starting a new job at Mt. Sinai as a postdoc as a neuro-microbiologist. I applied to these schools because I'll be living off campus and don't have the ability to go anywhere I choose; these schools are close to where I'll be living.

I applied to these schools back in late August and haven't heard anything except for application reception letters and a thank you for paying the fees. I've noticed a few people have received their acceptance emails from Fordham and NYU and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll hear anything.
I was able to log into Fordham's my.fordham.edu site and I have an FIDN #. Does anybody know what that is? I assume it's an ID number. Does this number have any bearing on acceptance? I did the same for NYU (Albert) but all I really see there is a checklist for the things I've sent them.

If anybody would like to share their ideas on my chances of being accepted or tips, that would be great.

Cheers.
edited November 2011
1 replies
Post edited by Chekur6 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 33 year old sophomore transfer to Fordham, NYU and Hunter

• NYU2013NYU2013 1751 replies42 threads Senior Member
    Well your GPA is mediocre for NYU. Typically, it's recommend to have around a 3.6 GPA from a 4 year college. Higher for community colleges. (The people that I know who attend NYU as transfers from community college all had 4.0 GPAs at their CCs).

But you should get into Fordham.

I'm assuming you applied as a winter transfer? NYU will get back to you between mid-December and mid-January. I'm not sure about Fordham.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity