Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Do private equities/hedge funds recruit from Stern?

2»

Replies to: Do private equities/hedge funds recruit from Stern?

• stu64kstu64k Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    thanks for the info. i'm actually not a nyu student, i sent my app in a week or so ago and it's been something i've been wondering.
  • youkosirenyoukosiren Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    Yes, I'm working part-time at a (very small) hedge fund now and will be working for one after graduation. I also knew a sophomore last summer who was interning at a large hedge fund (Moore Capital, which has a pretty good relationship with Stern - sponsors scholarships and everything). Old president of BAP is working at Citadel out at Chicago now. It's definitely doable, but you do have to gun for it.

My gut impression is that Stern is probably actually one of the better places to get hedge fund experience - you might not work with very large ones, but there's such a high concentration of funds in the city that it should be possible to at least get a part-time job during the year or something, and prior experience is always a door opener to future experience. Just saying.
  • catmouse880f4catmouse880f4 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Do GSP students with strong GPAs have these same opportunities?
  • youkosirenyoukosiren Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    Yes, since after you matriculate into CAS, Stern, or whatever school you end up in, no one will really know you were in GSP. However, if you're looking for internships freshman & sophomore year, it might take you a little more time & effort since GSP might not have the same name recognition as the other schools in NYU. If your GPA's pretty strong, though, it should be fine.
  • IVYPoisonIVYPoison Registered User Posts: 814 Member
    wow this is an old thread.

I love how I didn't know the OP at the time of posting but he turned out to be my roommate
2»
This discussion has been closed.