right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Good fall-back colleges in New England

srr686srr686 0 replies2 threads New Member
Hi, I will be going into my senior year this upcoming school year. I plan on applying to more prestigious schools like Brown University, Tufts University, & even Northeastern University. BUT I think I should have one or two colleges that are my fall backs just in case I do not get into these colleges. I was wondering what colleges are really great, but not as hard as to get into in the New England area? Maybe like a 40% or higher acceptance rate? Preferably in Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts. I would like these colleges to still have good academics and to have nice campuses too. Any suggestions??
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Good fall-back colleges in New England

• wisteria100wisteria100 4635 replies52 threads Senior Member
    Providence College
    Clark
    Bentley
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6967 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Lots of kids from MA like Union (NY) Trinity is certainly less selective than the ones you mentioned. Bard (again NY) has a beautiful campus right on the Hudson. Different vibe than the other 2. All of these have excellent academics
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 12312 replies211 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    For appealing options, look into Connecticut College, Wheaton and Trinity.

Though far from a fall-back, an application to Wesleyan should be considered as a complement to one at Brown.
    edited July 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 5209 replies66 threads Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    @srr686 Holy Cross is in Massachusetts, has a 39% admit and is test optional.
    edited September 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • gearmomgearmom 3964 replies6 threads Senior Member
    What is your major? You might want to look at Salve Regina or Bryant.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24694 replies2511 threads Super Moderator
    Both Bentley and Bryant which are mentioned above are primarily business colleges so I'd skip those unless you plan to major in business. Skidmore (near Albany) is a LAC with a 36% acceptance rate and might be another good option. It is close to Union so you can make one trip to see both. Two excellent schools with Union being the more STEM/engineering oriented of the two (in our opinion at least). Bard and Clark are two LACs that are less urban but seem to fit in with the other schools you are considering. If a Catholic School is OK then Providence is a great idea and you want an urban school that is more of a safety and you would consider NYC, look at Fordham's Lincoln Center campus (which has non-binding EA).
    · Reply · Share
  • preppedparentpreppedparent 3341 replies10 threads Senior Member
    BU, Emerson, Lesley, Emmanuel, Suffolk, Salve Regina, Stonehill, Brandeis, Babson
    · Reply · Share
  • mamag2855mamag2855 848 replies2 threads Member
    UMass Amherst is a really nice public U worth a look. Amherst is a great college town and UMass is part of the 5 college consortium, with opportunities to take classes at Smith, Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire, and Amherst Colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • JaxBluemanJaxBlueman 37 replies0 threads Junior Member
    happy1, your info about Skidmore is a few years old. The acceptance rate is now 25%, and falling fast.
    http://www.skidmore.edu/news/2017/0904-meet-2021.php

Regarding Clark, it's right in the middle of Worchester MA. Not the largest metro area in the Country, but certainly still a decidedly urban campus. After having visiting both Clark and Bard, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find two more different locations, and campus styles'.

In keeping with the OP's desire to stay in Connecticut, RI , or MASS, I'd second the excellent suggestions of Connecticut College, Clark, BU, and Wheaton, and throw Hampshire into the mix too.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 85298 replies761 threads Senior Member
    Cost constraints? State of residency? Academic credentials?

Would the state universities in your state of residency be suitable?
    · Reply · Share
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 1106 replies15 threads Senior Member
    How about Fairfield?
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 threads Senior Member
    Boston University fits your profile, also look at Providence College, Emmanuel and Clark (all most likely low matches or safeties given your original list). Most of the others on the list are not in urban areas, although Skidmore is walking distance to a great college town and would likely be a match and Salve Regina in Newport is also in close walking proximity to an great downtown (another safety).
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 4085 replies38 threads Senior Member
    Look at Wheaton in Norton, MA. Small LAC with good academics. Some cross regisyration with Brown.

Clark is another good option, but Worcester is a city of 180,000--more urban than the OP might want. I would definitely visit Worcester--it isn't for everyone. Worcester is a gritty manufacturing city, and even though manufacturing is long gone, it still has that feel. Health care and education are the main industries now. Despite a number of four-year colleges, a medical school campus, and a number of junior colleges, Worcester isn't really a college town. I worked at Clark (administration) for a number of years. Still go back to visit friends.
    · Reply · Share
  • preppedparentpreppedparent 3341 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Simmons, Wheelock
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity