right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

What is NYU Stern really like?

alexpatterson2alexpatterson2 8 replies6 threads New Member
edited October 11 in New York University
I am applying ED to Stern and keep hearing things about the competitiveness of Stern. Can anyone tell me their opinion of the school? I like a challenge, but I also am concerned about being miserable if the school is full of snakes. Thanks!
edited October 11
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What is NYU Stern really like?

• Supernatural2020Supernatural2020 8 replies1 threads New Member
    Hey! I read that about Stern too but I have an acquaintance who just graduated from Stern and started working and she has all great things to say about Stern.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhyesdadOhyesdad 4 replies0 threads New Member
    edited October 13
    Ey yo current stern student here. Just jumped on collegeconfidential to check out this forum lol. Personally, I regret coming here. The stern curve only allows 35% of students to get an A in certain classes, making everything super cutthroat and competetive. I have had people not answering my questions because of it. I was top of my HS class and still struggle since literally everyone was the top of their respective HS class. Not to mention, literally everyone here wants to go into wall street so people just talk abt recruiting all the damn time. Most kids like stern bc of the opportunities tbh. Lmk if you got any other questions.
    edited October 13
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I did read about this and hence I asked this acquaintance of mine about it but she was all praises about Stern. This confuses me so much. Anyway, doesn’t everyone get recruited anyway? Why the cutthroat competition?
    · Reply · Share
    Everyone gets a job but ur not paying 80k to get a job. Your working to get into investment banking. There are literally 400 students competing for like 50-100 spots. It’s absolutely insane. Don’t pay 80k to come here if you don’t wanna go into banking.
    · Reply · Share
    Also the people who thrive here are insanely ambitious and will do anything to get what they want. If you aren’t this type of person (which it seems u aren’t) stern isn’t right for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • alexpatterson2alexpatterson2 8 replies6 threads New Member
    I think I would fit in at Stern; I am very competitive and my dream is to be an IB. However, I'm not rich and I don't have any connections. Do you think someone like me who just works their ass off will be at a disadvantage? I'm worried about not even having a fighting chance if everyone there bought their way in and has a ton of connections already. That being said, do you think there are any business schools you would have preferred attending?
    · Reply · Share
  • citykid10001citykid10001 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Junior at Stern here - you don't have to be rich and have connections. Stern's name and extensive alumni network is enough for you to meet people and form your own connections to use doing recruiting. I came from a normal family, absolutely know no one in finance, and I'm interning in IB next summer.

Something I want to warn though: Just because Stern is known for having a lot of people in IB, it doesn't mean that everyone gets in - plenty of people don't make it in, much less into the big banks that everyone dreams of getting into.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the insight! If only 100 out of the 400 people get into IB, where do the rest of them end up? Just curious...
    · Reply · Share
  • citykid10001citykid10001 2 replies0 threads New Member
    I think that 100/400 number is even a bit optimistic in terms of the number of people that get into IB every year.

You can do a LinkedIn search and see where people end up. A lot of people work in finance but just not in IB, so maybe S&T, wealth management, some general business analyst/financial planning roles, corporate finance/corporate banking, etc. Then another large batch of people go into consulting, another batch into B4 for accounting/auditing, then some in tech. Obviously these are the biggest areas so other students also go into more niche fields as well, like maybe entrepreneurship, fashion, real estate, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 12316 replies167 threads Senior Member
    S&T = sales and trading

B4 = Big Four accounting firms (KPMG, Deloitte, PwC, & EY)
    · Reply · Share