right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Will an UW GPA of 3.8 hold me back from NYU Stern?

SternHopeful2025SternHopeful2025 1 replies1 threads New Member
edited October 19 in New York University
One of the top ranked high schools in the nation (at least according to us news report if that matters)
1580 sat (single test)
ACT 35
no SAT subject tests
GPA UW of 3.8, W of 4.3 (in a 4.0 scale)
Applying ED to Stern
Okay extracurriculars:
1st place regional, 2nd place state at DECA
1st place regional, some awards states, division semifinalist in national Vex Robotics Competition
1st place county computer fair
Cross Country/track (10-12 grade)
National Honor Society (11-12 grade)
Hospital/food bank volunteer (3.5 hours/week)

Can my SAT carry my presumably bad GPA? (I haven't been able to find an official average for Stern Students)
edited October 19
2 replies
Post edited by vonlost on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will an UW GPA of 3.8 hold me back from NYU Stern?

• SJ2727SJ2727 3018 replies16 threads Senior Member
    Your GPA probably is a *little* light for Stern but it will also depend on your school profile, and your SAT/ACT obviously are excellent. Rest looks fine but letters of rec will also matter, and essays of course. I’m sure you know Stern admit rate is around 8%, it will be a little higher in ED, so it’s always a reach.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 3068 replies8 threads Senior Member
    The real question is whether you can afford a $300,000 bachelors degree.
    · Reply · Share