Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.
Visit our COVID-19 resource page.
Your College Confidential guide bot.
Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.
IMPORTANT NEWS:CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!
sophomore chances at NYU? (i know its early...don't make fun)
I am only a sophomore, but I am starting to think about colleges early. I want to make sure that I don't start out with too broad a list and without having anything to really aim for. So if you guys could help me out and let me know, just based on my stats so far, what my chances are at some colleges, i would really appreciate it.
High School: very competitive Jesuit College Preparatory
Freshman GPA: 2.8 (a lot of personal problems, but I don't know how much freshman grades count, and if I will be able to explain the low GPA)
Sophomore GPA: 3.6uw/3.8w (I know colleges like upward trends...)
one honors class (english-freshman and sophomore years...I plan to take AP History, AP English, and AP Government)
PLAN (pre-SAT/ACT test that predicts SAT, ACT scores): predicted 1500+
- Co-founder/President of CauseWeCare (a large youth volunteer/service group in San Francisco; work with many organizations and political leaders in SF and California)
- member of the San Francisco Youth Commission (selective group of 17 young people who advise the Board of Supervisors and Mayor on youth-related issues in the city)
- Co-founder/President of a political discussion group at my school
- writer for my school newspaper
- 300+ service hours (aiming for 1000+ by senior year)
- Co-founder/President of an underclassmen JSA (seniors took over everything, and underclassmen didnt get a chance to do anything)
- soccer coach for 2 years, ref for 1 year, player all my life
- member of Social Justice and Amnesty International
- member of selective service advisory group at my school
- head student costume designer/coordinator for past three school shows
- member of the Commonwealth Club
- Co-founder/President of Drive for Anysoldier.com
- published poetry
- published newspaper article
- interviewed and held several press conferences covered by local news television and radio
- certificate of commendation from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- san francisco independent scholar
Thats everything so far. I will continue to do all of this and more. I suppose sophomore year is kind of early but better safe than sorry! Thanks everyone!