right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

test out

supervillainsupervillain 59 replies11 threads Junior Member
edited January 2005 in New York University
hey,

i'm taking 4 APs right now: English Lit, Government, Calc BC, and Biology. Will getting 4/5s on any of those help me to get out of anything @ Stern/NYU, or is it just extra credit? I know Stern stresses Calculus, and I already got a 4 on the AP Calc AB test. Are any of these 4 worth studying for and testing out of?

thanks
edited January 2005
7 replies
Post edited by supervillain on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: test out

• mattistotlemattistotle 1686 replies57 threads Senior Member
    i dont see why people want to test out...it just makes life harder for you, harder classes for no real reason. Stern makes it really easy to double major anyways. But anyways I dont know much about being able to test out of core classes, but i doubt you can anyways since NYU is in love with all its freshman core classes. If you are able to, i wouldnt recommend it unless u want to graduate a semester early.
    · Reply · Share
  • jwbluejwblue 1016 replies12 threads Senior Member
    Testing out of NYU requirements is really not possible. The NYU frosh core is another level from high school classes, even if its a related subject. Talk to the school, but I doubt you can test out of any requirements save Calc. and foreign language if you're fluent (for CAS people).
    · Reply · Share
  • supervillainsupervillain 59 replies11 threads Junior Member
    so in other words, aside from Calc and for. lang. if you're in CAS, there's no point to worrying about getting a 4/5 on AP tests for NYU?
    · Reply · Share
  • mattistotlemattistotle 1686 replies57 threads Senior Member
    testing out and getting AP credit are two seperate things...
    · Reply · Share
    Supervil,

I think you misunderstand the point. No AP score is going to get you out of of NYU MAP requirements for CAS, Stern, etc. (besides math and foreign language). However, a 4 or a 5 on an AP test still gets you credit at NYU....getting a 4/5 will help a lot if you want to major or minor in whatever you get that score in. For example, if you want to major or minor in history, getting a 5 on the US will get you credit to that end. Even if you don't want to major or minor in the subject matter you get a high AP score in, having extra credit is always good so you can take it easy later on in college if you so choose since you'll have a cushion of extra credits.
    · Reply · Share
  • supervillainsupervillain 59 replies11 threads Junior Member
    my bad, i worded my response wrong. i get the difference, i was just wondering if AP credit is useful except for credits towards graduation. since nyu charges flat rate for tuition per year (?), i probably won't have enough AP credits to save me from as much as a half semester. oh well..
    · Reply · Share
    But the credits can still help toward a minor or major. Calc AB & BC would def. help toward a math minor (and place you out of the math reqs as well). Also, if you want an easy semester, you'll be able to take 3 classes instead of 4 if you have enough credits.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity