right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

GSP chance me? thanks.

kezbieskezbies 92 replies5 threads Junior Member
edited February 2008 in New York University
applied to CAS undecided
gpa: 3.68
SAT: cr660 m570 w710 essay 12
SAT II: us history660 french570
excellent teacher recs
70+ hours community service in both america and costa rica
actively visits nyc and participated in numerous NYU open houses/info sessions/tours etc.

i know, my SAT sucks, but standardized testing just doesn't click with me. i'm super banking on my essay, my ECs and teacher recs. i also am not applying for financial aid or scholarships, and i've been told this helps.
edited February 2008
17 replies
Post edited by kezbies on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: GSP chance me? thanks.

• NYUjoshNYUjosh 133 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Hello there,
    I would be somewhat unsure about being accepted to GSP, not only because the program accepts 7%-ish of applicants, but from what I've seen based on stats of GSP individuals, each of them tends to shine in one area, whether it be GPA, SAT scores, EC's, etc., and I don't quite see the area that you shine in which would compel the NYU adcoms to accept you. Is your GPA weighted or unweighted? Either way, I would say that it's neutral, and wouldn't necessarily help or hurt you, considering that you have around the avg. gpa for NYU. Your SAT 1 and 2 scores are unfortunately lower than NYU standards. Don't worry, I know how you feel. Standardized testing doesn't click with me either, but I guess we just have to accept that as part of the process. The community service hours, honestly, in places such as Costa Rica or any other international location, are pretty common nowadays, unless you volunteered a lot of hours but 70 isn't really that much. Visiting nyc and participating in NYU open houses makes no difference to NYU, no matter how much an individual may visit. I would say that the areas you could benefit from would be your essay, ECS and teacher recs, but these are pretty risky areas to rely on. Also, do you have a good rank at your school? This could help if you go to a huge public school and the valedictorian's gpa isn't that much higher. Either way, good luck with college decisions, it's really luck of the draw at this point and I hope you get in where you want to!
    · Reply · Share
  • jadoreapplesjadoreapples 45 replies26 threads Junior Member
    well, I got into GSP and SAT/ACT similar, your gpa was my uw gpa, my SAT2 scores were 730 & 740... I had 95 hours and stronger ECs, great essays and recs.

I'm not sure about your chances into GSP, as not many people on here have gotten into gsp & then posted their stats, so I don't know what the norm really is. I'm just comparing you to me, since it's the only real thing I know of. I hope it helps.

good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • salem1salem1 377 replies21 threads Member
    I think if you applied this year RD...you'd know by now if you were GSPed (they found out last week) So your'e either in or your'e out. I had a horrible math SAT but my reading was 770, writing was 720 ans SATII's were 750 & 780. I was accepted CAS/ED Do you have a weighted GPA? Lot's of Ap's?

Rough year to apply as previous posts say they had like 9% more applications (with the same number of applications Early Decision as last...that means the increase was in the regular decision pool.)

They are looking at 29% acceptance rate and as you can see from the NYU posts, it's rare that someone DOESN'T have fabulous EC's and recs. The vast majority also have fabulous scores OR GPA.

It's a crapshoot, but if your borderline and DIDN'T hear already about GSP...it doesn't look good.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bubbly088Bubbly088 191 replies37 threads Junior Member
    what do you consider borderline?
    · Reply · Share
  • kezbieskezbies 92 replies5 threads Junior Member
    blah, i know.
    well, there's always transfer.
    i'm sort of over it. plus, i can't give a detailed, accurate account of what my application entails either on here. and yes, college is a crapshoot, and it sucks, but i'm not getting too discouraged. NYU truly is my dream school, and because of that i won't let rejection of freshman year stop me from applying again as transfer.
    · Reply · Share
    your scores aren't that bad..it's just math i'm sure other people have lower stats than you
    · Reply · Share
  • salem1salem1 377 replies21 threads Member
    bubbly, saw your stats on another post, you have a very good shot at CAS. The 3.9 GPA isn't weighted? If you haven't gotten the GSp letter you're most likely in. Gonna be a long month no?
    · Reply · Share
  • bashibashi 593 replies84 threads Member
    Actually only Round 1 of GSP have been sent out...they are still being sent out in the next few weeks.
    · Reply · Share
    ^^ you just made my night! it never hurts to hope for the best. =)
    · Reply · Share
  • raymzizuraymzizu 37 replies1 threads Junior Member
    i conscienciously check my mail everyday for an NYU letterhead... lol

it sure does one good to not lose hope.. :)

but man.... i want my letter! GSP or CAS ACCEPTANCE THANK YOU VERY MUCH :)
    · Reply · Share
    gahh! Yea this month is going to kill me. If I see a big package in my mailbox before the April 1st official mark I dunno what I am going to do..
    · Reply · Share
    raymzizu- i am in the same boat as you, i don't care which program i'm accepted into, the fact that i will be living in NYC and attending NYU is good enough for me! people who whine and get upset over GSP really upset me because it's clear that their whole heart isn't into attending NYU, and someone whose dream school is NYU and would work really hard to stay in a school they loved is rejected because of this. god, college is such a crapshoot, so unfair.
    · Reply · Share
    living in NYC is awesome :)

and the people aren't as cranky as the media and popular belief make them out to be..

i know im nice.. lol
    · Reply · Share
    ^^ haha, i ADORE nyc. i have tons of friends who live there and i'm in nyc at least once a month. it truly is the center of the universe and the best city in the universe!!
    · Reply · Share
    oh cool..where u from?
    · Reply · Share
    outside of philly
    · Reply · Share
    nice..well..if all goes well (power of positive thinking!)... see you at the square!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity