right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Is NYU a party school?

Bubbly088Bubbly088 191 replies37 threads Junior Member
edited December 2009 in New York University
=) Just wondering...my friend told me that NYU is known for being a big party school..
edited December 2009
37 replies
Post edited by Bubbly088 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is NYU a party school?

• kezbieskezbies 92 replies5 threads Junior Member
    well, it is in NYC and all. there is partying at every college, and you can choose to be part of it or not. i just always find these sorts of questions silly, partying is a natural and i almost think necessary part of college life, and the degree in which you party is totally up to you.
    · Reply · Share
  • FBI_34FBI_34 457 replies39 threads Member
    I would say NYU is definitely not a big party school...the majority of students here are serious about their academics.
    · Reply · Share
  • salem1salem1 377 replies21 threads Member
    Seeing they don't have FRAT houses, or big off-campus rental houses like most universities, where do the kids that want to go "out" go out? Are there like local village NYU hotspots (say a pub or dive bar) or do lots of the kids do the "club" thing? DO the upperclassman with their own rentals host parties?
    · Reply · Share
  • ohhhradioohhhradio 239 replies17 threads Junior Member
    It's not really a big party school. People either go to clubs or hang out in their rooms, from what I've seen. Sometimes there are like bigger parties, but they usually aren't that common.
    · Reply · Share
  • youkosirenyoukosiren 578 replies2 threads Member
    There generally aren't parties that people just show up to (like frat parties), so you actually just have to hang out with your friends. If your friends are partyers, then there are plenty of clubs and bars to go to. NYU doesn't actually have a 'party culture'; if you want that, go to Dartmouth...
    · Reply · Share
  • slipper1234slipper1234 9044 replies40 threads Senior Member
    "party school" denotes college students hanging out together and having parties. NYU has very little in terms of a campus feeling or parties in houses, which makes it the opposite of a party school. Party schools of NYU selectivity level include UNC-CH, Michigan, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • dantheman222dantheman222 103 replies14 threads Junior Member
    If you want to party at NYU you need a lot of money. Clubs, ie bottle service is extremely expensive so unless you have a lot of cash to spend after the 200k tuition this place isnt for you
    · Reply · Share
  • clone22clone22 46 replies0 threads Junior Member
    It depends. Get a circle of friends who enjoy alcohol/ substances and you can have very regular get togethers where you can invite ppl and whatnot. It depends on how partying you want to be. There won't be consistent partying 24/7 like some schools, but if you put the effort into getting parties together, it will be fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • UriA702UriA702 922 replies43 threads Member
    The opportunity is there to party, but it is definitely not as easy to party as it is at other schools. Main reason - Cost. To party at NYU you need to be able to afford to party in NYC, which is extremely expensive.

If you want to party you sure can, it is just going to run you quite a pretty penny. For the average student it is out of reach. NYC has a lot to offer, so spending a lot of time drinking and doing other stupid things is not really advised. You have a lot of opportunity in Manhattan that you just do not have elsewhere, it is far more feasible to spend your time trying to get ahead and get your foot in the door early than it is to spend your time getting wasted.
    · Reply · Share
    But you're not hanging out with other NYU kids, and you don't run into people. NYU is not a typical college experience at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • crzy2ritecrzy2rite 268 replies43 threads Member
    slipper1234, can you maybe explain what you mean by that statement? I got deferred from a university that has a beautiful and homey campus and it is in a small city so its not as exciting but there are things to do. I have always wanted to come to NYC for school since i live in LI and since I got deferred I started to really love NYU. If I get into both universities, I would probably be stuck b/t the two. Can you maybe tell me if I am going to be losing a real "college experience" if I go to NYU as opposed to a school with a campus and a more small city feel? This has actually been on my mind for a while and I would really appreciate any input =)

Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    I have actually had a lot of contact with NYU students and alums in my life. Overwhelmingly there seems to be some buyers remorse. You just don't have the community feel and NYU seems more like having an apartment in the city than a true college experience. You have to remember college means you are around 100% kids your age, and in the middle of nowhere this is going to mean parties and random fun every weekend. NYU, on the other hand allows students to escape all over the city, making it feel much less like a true college. I personally think NYU is better for grad school, undergrad I think the city takes too much from the social life.
    · Reply · Share
    Wow, i had no idea. I have only heard great things about the school academically and socially. Is the disjointed student body and lack of school spirit a popular opinion? Or is it just select?
    · Reply · Share
    Its pretty much true of NYU. There just isn;t the social space to get together. To have a party scene you need apartments, a street where the whole school goes out (like Franklin street at UNC or Webster Ave at Dartmouth), and some type of social house infrastructure. NYU is much more about the city than a campus social life. And NYC is so big that unlike Georgetown for example where you're bound to run into friends at local bars, you'll get much more enveloped (or lost) in the city.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bubbly088Bubbly088 191 replies37 threads Junior Member
    but you're in NEW YORK CITY! What more could you ask for?
    · Reply · Share
  • kezbieskezbies 92 replies5 threads Junior Member
    it really depends on what you're looking to get out of college. me, i think school spirit is really stupid and i don't want to be part of a huge connected entity that identifies itself as "NYU students." i want to live in the city, be independent and get a really good college education. so again, there really is no clear-cut answer as to what NYU student life is like because everyone is looking for different things and reacts to certain aspects differently.

oh yeah, and NYC is the best city in the universe. period.
    · Reply · Share
    A campus, friends, seeing people you actually know, a college social life.
    · Reply · Share
  • salem1salem1 377 replies21 threads Member
    I have a couple of friends at NYU,they're juniors and they're having a BLAST. Both do incredibl;y fun things 3-4 nights a week and have dated (some serious some not) really cute guys. 37,000 freshman applicants...we're obvioisly not alone in thinkin plenty of fun can be had at NYU
    · Reply · Share
    I think after applying to many different universities where the environment varies leaves people unsure of what they were really looking for in a college experience. I know that i can get a great education at NYU or another equally competitive school, but NYU and this other school are seriously in a dead heat for preference and a lot of it may just come down to the whole idea of a "college experience"

And yea, I totally agree...there is no better place than NYC! Been wanting to be closer to the city since i moved away from Queens!
    · Reply · Share
  • collegecheckcollegecheck 64 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I just have to stop slipper from scaring crzy2rite too much. Freshmen that I know mostly love NYU - I have some junior friends who are transfers - they love it too. Slipper, if the alum you know are your parents' ages, NYU is quite a different place today - much more changed in the last 30 years than most schools. At a lot of different kinds of schools, freshman year is the one where people make the most friends and feel the most community. surveys say about 70% of students would choose the school again - that's about the same as Williams College with a tight knit campus that gets very boring after a year or so. I guess since you don't go to NYU, slipper, it's a little annoying for you to act like such an expert.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity