right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Should I hand-write a letter or type it and hand-sign it?

melissa_melissa_ 120 replies15 threads Junior Member
edited February 2008 in New York University
I'm sending a letter to NYU with my mid-year grade report and some updates that I have had so far and I'll also go in depth about problems I had with school in the past and was wondering if I should hand-write it or type it and then hand-sign it? I want it to look professional but I also want them to see how passionate I am in my writing and give it a personal touch.

Any suggestions?
edited February 2008
8 replies
Post edited by melissa_ on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I hand-write a letter or type it and hand-sign it?

• flyguy_flyguy_ 84 replies6 threads Junior Member
    i'd say type it.
    · Reply · Share
  • JJim1919JJim1919 36 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I'd type it. Theres nothing that looks more unprofessional than a sloppy letter. No offense to you, but since we do not put much value on hand writing and the elquence of hand writing, chances are your writing will not be perfectly uniform and neat.

In the real world, the standard is to type letters and then hand sign it. ALWAYS hand it sign it at the bottom.
    · Reply · Share
  • melissa_melissa_ 120 replies15 threads Junior Member
    Thank you both. I was going to initially type it and hand-sign it, but thought the admissions committee would think it was impersonal and would prefer it be handwritten. Typing it is!
    · Reply · Share
  • kezbieskezbies 92 replies5 threads Junior Member
    and make it in business letter format. that's what i did when i wrote the admissions office a follow-up letter thanking them for considering me, reiterating my desire to attend NYU and updating them on recent extracurricular activites. and yes, typing is much more professional. handwritten letters are for friends and family!
    · Reply · Share
  • melissa_melissa_ 120 replies15 threads Junior Member
    kezbies - Do you think they will take my letter into consideration when deciding whether to accept or reject me, or is it too late? I fear pouring my heart out to them and then not having anything I've said in my letter carry any weight with my decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • RacPaimeRacPaime 73 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Sending a letter may do you bad or good depending what you have written. However, sending a midterm report is probably not a great idea. It shows you want to go but it also shows you as desperate and not following directions (if they want a midterm report, they would ask for it). Remember, the NYU webpage Dos and Donts say don't think you have the better way. Also remember, you're not the only candidate that is passionate and writing letters to NYU.
    · Reply · Share
  • RacPaimeRacPaime 73 replies1 threads Junior Member
    By the way, I do not think the admission officers can see if you are passionate by looking at your handwriting. They read thousands of applications so I am sure they aren't going to study your letter but merely read it.
    · Reply · Share
  • kezbieskezbies 92 replies5 threads Junior Member
    my dad has a lot of connections with NYU through his company, including alumni, graduate students and even an adjunct professor. i asked them if there was any way i could help boost my chances for admission after already sending in my application, and they all suggested writing NYU a letter. i wrote it, had them proofread it, and i think it was a really good idea. NYU isn't as snobby as a lot of people try to make them out to be, and they do appreciate people who place an extra effort into letting the admissions office know how much they love their school. just thank them for considering you, and give them a quick update on one of your ongoing after-school activites, or an event that you helped out at recently. NYU appreciates honesty and passion, just have someone proofread your letter before you send it.

also keep in mind, i sent my letter out maybe a month ago. i mainly sent the letter because i was too busy dealing with a lot of crap this fall, and because of that i didn't apply ED. i wanted to let them know how passionate I was in an alternative manner. but i don't know, considering GSP letters have already been drafted and are in the process of being sent, your chances are slimmer than they could have been had you written your letter earlier.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity