right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

NYU vs. Big Scholarship

amanda0amanda0 2 replies1 threads New Member
edited March 2009 in New York University
I got into NYU, which is by far my first choice, but I'm going to have to pay about $42,000 a year and my parents definitely can't afford that without taking out hefty loans. I was also accepted to Tulane and got a big scholarship, and I would pay only about $10,000 a year. I plan on going to med school, so I'm trying not to graduate like $80,000 in debt. I just can't imagine getting into my dream school and having to turn it down because of money. Basically, is NYU worth the investment, or should I just save my money and go wherever is cheapest?
edited March 2009
12 replies
Post edited by amanda0 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: NYU vs. Big Scholarship

• missamericanpiemissamericanpie 2140 replies39 threads Senior Member
    honestly, for pre med? no, it's not worth it.

med school is a huge numbers game. mcats, gpa, you're boiled down to a number. NYU isn't exactly well known for it's pre-meds. but if you're serious about going to med school, no, go to the school where you have the scholarship.

(my dad is a doctor/professor at NYU school of medicine, and both of my parents are doctors.)
    · Reply · Share
  • stephennnstephennn 2085 replies18 threads Senior Member
    how do you know if you were accepted or not?

unless you applied ED and are now turning down the offer, even though you signed a contract.
    · Reply · Share
  • amanda0amanda0 2 replies1 threads New Member
    yeah, i applied ED, but i expected a lot more aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • BryanmBryanm 422 replies18 threads Member
    Well... Here is my advice.

If you are SURE that you want to be a doctor... Go to Tulane. Med School is crazy expensive and you want to be able to pay for it. Also, you can always go to Langone at NYU to get your MD.
    · Reply · Share
    ^ i agree with bryan

if you're really planning on going to medschool, you should try and avoid as much debt as you can right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • amanda0amanda0 2 replies1 threads New Member
    thanks for the advice. it's a tough decision
    · Reply · Share
  • kcdunlapkcdunlap 214 replies23 threads Junior Member
    Just know that if you turn down the ED offer they will likely ding future students from your high school for you not understanding that ED was a contract. Meaning that other kids might not get in because of you turning down NYU just to go to a different school. Unlike other schools early decision that isn't binding NYU is serious about that.
    · Reply · Share
  • radio rabbitradio rabbit 165 replies25 threads Junior Member
    Did you check and see if you can get any more scholarships than you got? Try that before you make any decisions.
    · Reply · Share
  • missamericanpiemissamericanpie 2140 replies39 threads Senior Member
    @kc

you can turn down ED if financial aid is not sufficient enough for you to attend the school.
    · Reply · Share
    agreed, i don't think they will ding your school if they don't meet your aid. NYU will know if they don't meet your aid and they know that if they don't meet the aid then the applicant can legally break the contract.
    · Reply · Share
    senior member ftw!
    · Reply · Share
  • early_collegeearly_college 2711 replies155 threads Senior Member
    Go to Tulane. You don't need the debt and I think NYU isn't worth it for pre-med. You'll do fine and Tulane is a great school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity