right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Will an economics major will I starve to death?

lebronfor2008mvplebronfor2008mvp 118 replies63 threads Junior Member
edited March 2009 in New York University
My dad keeps whining that with an economics degree at NYU I won't be able to eat and feed myself. What jobs can I get with this degree? Can I go into the big 4 accounting firms?
edited March 2009
12 replies
Post edited by lebronfor2008mvp on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will an economics major will I starve to death?

• lt.milolt.milo 24 replies2 threads New Member
    econ is one of the most practical degrees; not sure what your dad is talking about.
    · Reply · Share
  • sillyworldsillyworld 183 replies0 threads Junior Member
    With Economics, you can basically enter any profession.
    Though you need to take an accounting exam to be an accountant.
    · Reply · Share
  • count.olafcount.olaf 36 replies5 threads Junior Member
    you can definitely enter many career fields with an economics major, here's some:

Jobs for Economics Degree

just wondering, is it an econ major ant cas or stern?
    · Reply · Share
    you can definitely enter many career fields with an economics major, here's some:

Jobs for Economics Degree

just wondering, is it an econ major ant cas or stern?
    · Reply · Share
  • bahrunychoibahrunychoi 86 replies5 threads Junior Member
    lebronfor2008mvp - yeah econ major is def not something to look down on. did u apply as an econ major?

count.olaf - econ major is avail @ both stern and CAS

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/new-york-university/658034-chances-nyu-stern-hopeful.html
    · Reply · Share
    i knew it was available at both, thats why i was asking which one... lol
    · Reply · Share
    nvm, i don't think this person has even been accpeted to nyu yet, lol
    · Reply · Share
  • toadstooltoadstool 1107 replies38 threads Senior Member
    You'll get a nice juicy government job.
    · Reply · Share
  • stargazerliliesstargazerlilies - 1429 replies41 threads Senior Member
    LOL is this a joke? Seriously, just use your common sense for 5 seconds.

Think of ALL the majors that exist in the world, there are probably over 100. Do you think that with only a small handful of pre-professional majors you'll have a job? Only 1/4 of Americans even have Bachelor's degrees, and out of all the majors available in the world, Economics is a pretty damn useful one. I'm an Economics double-major, NYU has a very strong department, and there are SO many options available to us it's not even worth worrying about. Some of my friends studying Classics or Hellenistic Studies might be worried, but with Econ? No, you have so many options in both the public and private sector. Economics is the most common major, I've heard.

My advice is if you're aiming for Accounting, get an Accounting degree! Apply to Stern. It's competitive but worth a shot considering your goals. Good luck :)

Your Dad has to be pretty dense to think you'll starve to death and won't get a job. Sorry if that's harsh, but this question is laughable.
    · Reply · Share
  • GuaznGuazn 40 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I think your dad is just being a little OD due to the current economy.
    when you're out of college, the economy will have resumed its normal course or else it doesn't matter what major you pick... we'll all be starving on the streets
    · Reply · Share
  • stargazerliliesstargazerlilies - 1429 replies41 threads Senior Member
    Ok sorry if I was being overly mean before since I just realized maybe your parents haven't been to college and you're 1st gen - just to reiterate, Econ is not one of those degrees where it's very risky because you'll "starve to death".

Google "Average salary for college major" and you'll see Econ majors make MORE on average than many other majors! $77K a year ain't bad, and that's average (meaning half get more and half get less). I wish I could link the site but CC won't let me.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dare7to7DreamDare7to7Dream 301 replies23 threads Member
    i love economics! Way to go bro~
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity