Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help. I'm waitlisted to Stern

KarenLee28KarenLee28 Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
edited March 2009 in New York University
Guys, I'm utterly confused now...I just got waitlisted to Stern.
I don't know how the waitlist works. Should I accept it or not?
If I accept the offer, what happens? I can't go to any other colleges? Sorry it's my first time getting waitlisted. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by KarenLee28 on

Replies to: Help. I'm waitlisted to Stern

  • LyreLyre Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I haven't seen your letter, but here is the way wait listing usually works.

    You accept a place on the wait list. If they offer you a place it will most likely be after May 1, so you'll have sent in a deposit to another school ... your #2 choice. If/when they contact you ... could be May, June, even early July ... you have a limited amount of time to respond, like 24 hours. Then if you accept, you would be forfeiting whatever deposit you sent to the other school and accepting your offer at NYU.

    If I were you, I would ask how many people came off the wait list for Stern last year. This year is crazy, so they may actually be taking a lot of people from the wait lists, but you never know. Another consideration is $. You would probably just need to accept whatever they offer, if anything.
  • KarenLee28KarenLee28 Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    What can I do to "better" my chance? Should I just wait, or send in some extra essays/recommendations maybe? They just told me to wait, and said they'll contact you if anything after May1.
  • bahrunychoibahrunychoi Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    july?!?! ...thats crazy talk ...
  • KarenLee28KarenLee28 Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    I'm still considering Stern as my firstchoice, but I don't have the guts to wait that long. I guess I'll have to end up being in Michigan or BC. Thanks Lyre for the reply.
This discussion has been closed.