Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stern applicant

akmetgakmetg Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
edited July 2005 in New York University
Hi,
I am crazy about NYU. It is probably my first choice. I have descent academics: 3.97 GPA; 2000 SAT 730M, 640 V, 630 W. SAT II's 650 in 3 subjects.
Recruited athlete
Many ec activities: President of Model UN, Business Club (FBLA)/founder, International Club, Bord of directors in a huge non-profit organization, community service 200+, Peer Support Treasurer, Student Senate, Debate Team, piano, Nationaly ranked, 4 years of Varsity on the best team in the State.
Special stuff: fluent language (Russian), partial in 2 more Hebrew (lived in Israel for 1 year) and Spanish (4 years). Came to America 5 years ago.
I want to major in international business. Do you think I can afford to apply reg. d. or is that a big risk to take?
Thanks.
Post edited by akmetg on

Replies to: Stern applicant

• BigRed25BigRed25 Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    hey i was a recruited athlete this year too (for tennis) and i applied regular to stern. i didn't get in directly but instead got referred to the general studies program. my stats were similar to yours. 3.84 gpa, 2040 (700M 630V + 710 writing SAT II) 710 and 760 on my other 2 SAT II's, and a 5 on the ap chem exam.
    the tennis coach told me if i had applied early my chances of getting in would've skyrocketed so my advice to you is apply early. I think if you do that you should get in since your SATs are ok and your gpa is fine.
  • CardinalCardinal Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    1) I would say take the SAT again. Your math score is right on par with most Stern admits, but your verbal/writing is on the weak side. Early decision will help if finances aren't a big concern as you won't get nearly as much in aid.

2) Just something to note, international business is only offerred as a co-major, you need to pick something else to be your primary major like econ, accounting, finance, marketing, etc.
  • akmetgakmetg Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Cardinal are you saying that if I apply ED it lowers my chances of getting a descent financial aid.
  • CardinalCardinal Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    That is correct. Financial aid is often used to lure applicants to attending a university. If you're already committed to attend, what is the point of luring you?
This discussion has been closed.