Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Applying to college without good SATs scores?

mayliemaylie Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited May 2013 in Non-Traditional Students
I'm an international student in her senior year who wishes to apply to US colleges. I took the sats in january and got 1760, however, after taking the test I realized that I could improve a lot and so I registered to take it again in June. This is when it starts to get complicated. Recently I was in a car crash and fractured my right collarbone and foot, so I can't walk nor write. I was still going to take the exam (a bit crazy) but my doctor said I may be getting surgery in the next week so I won't be able to take it. So, I contacted collegeboard and they said the best thing I could do was to move my test date to october. I told my college counselor about this and he said that I'll only be able to apply with my first SAT score (?). I'm really confused/mad and I don't know what to do. I wished to start college around february 2014 but I thought that if I took the sats again I would be able to send that score. I'm really hesitant to apply with the first one since I've been told that a 2000 score opens a lot more doors than what I have (prior to the accident I was getting 1900 on practice tests and felt that I still could improve). Also, I wouldn't mind to start college in october 2014, but is it worth it? My question is: Is my college counselor right and am I only able to apply with my first score? Could I apply in november with my second score, and if so, when would I start college? Any tips?
Post edited by maylie on

Replies to: Applying to college without good SATs scores?

• condor14condor14 Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    I'm sorry I don't know the answer but that sounds very frustrating. I hope you feel better soon and that everything goes well for you.
  • breberrybreberry Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    The importance of this score varies depending on what college you're trying to get into. Did you have any specific schools in mind? And try to remember that the SAT score is only part of your application. Try to mention the accident in a personal statement essay to explain the score.

A 1760 isn't even terrible, by the way.
This discussion has been closed.