Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

To wait or not that is the question, with a twist.

DiversionDiversion Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited October 2013 in Non-Traditional Students
I am sure this has been asked many times before, but I can't find a thread with my specific circumstances.

Me:
UMass Boston Senior Finance/Accounting 3.95GPA
35years old!!
1 year long finance internship at a major bank

My questions:
1. I know the typical answer is experience then MBA/MSF, but I am 35. Three years exp. plus two for the degree means I'm a 40 year old freshly minted MBA/MSF. If I go immediately I can continue my internship on a graduate level and apply for one of the myriad 'summer analyst' positions. This would create 2 years of experience, albeit internship experience. Should I apply immediately or go for experience?

2. Debating BC or UMass.
UMass can be completed in 1 year (I get to waive classes)
UMass costs 9K

BC is a much better program
BC takes 2 full-time years
BC costs 39K

Please give reasons, I know the typical answer would be wait and BC, but I can see the merits of both sides of both questions and would appreciate some fresh perspectives.

Thanks!
Post edited by Diversion on

Replies to: To wait or not that is the question, with a twist.

• allyphoeallyphoe Registered User Posts: 1,050 Senior Member
    You've had absolutely no responsible work experience in the last thirty-five years? Experience isn't something predicated on having a degree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  • DiversionDiversion Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks for your reply.

I have had what I consider very responsible experience, just not in the Business realm. I have worked in restaurants as a server. My typical stay at each restaurant was 4+years. Seems pretty responsible, but not the type of experience that most employers are seeking.
  • DreamSchlDropoutDreamSchlDropout Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    Have you considered finding a job that offers tuition reimbursement and doing your MBA part-time? Then you could be gaining the degree and the experience simultaneously, while saving some money on a more-expensive/more-prestigious program.
This discussion has been closed.