Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Returning to school after mental health issues - good online programs?

WinterSpiritWinterSpirit Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited August 2013 in Non-Traditional Students
I'm posting on behalf of my younger brother, and he has a complicated road ahead so I thought I'd see if I could get any advice or feedback on this board. He has been too depressed lately to move forward with his life, so I'm trying to see what I can do in the mean time.

Basically, my brother had to drop out of school three years ago during his freshman year due to undiagnosed mental health issues that had been building up for some time. He was a good student with model behavior throughout high school so we didn't notice anything. It is basically an anxiety-related behavioral disorder, not psychosis, yet he had such severe anxiety/depression that he has been in therapy for the past couple years. He started at two colleges during that time and had to drop out for the same reasons.

Now I want him to start studying in as light a course load as possible, and wanted to enroll him in online classes. I don't want crap programs like Fort Hays or anything though, but rather online classes from good schools, since he is a genuinely bright guy and needs to be intellectually fulfilled. I was thinking about the Harvard Extension School, but could not find any others. US News has a ranking for online bachelor programs, but I want him to take classes and then transfer to a real, live undergraduate program when he is better.

Can anyone recommend a high-ranking university or LAC that offers courses online with flexibility, and not the full-blown online BA program?

And if you have any experience with circumstances like mine, all input is appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by WinterSpirit on

Replies to: Returning to school after mental health issues - good online programs?

This discussion has been closed.