Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Work or School full-time

ThinkingItOverThinkingItOver Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited October 2013 in Non-Traditional Students
I am in a quandary. I currently work full-time and go to school 2 classes a semester studying computer science. At this pace I will finish summer of 2017. However, if I were to go to school full time I could finish around or even before summer 2015.

The job I have pays quite well for my stage of life (around $45K) and is with a company that is known somewhat for computer science related work; however, the work I do is not programming or anything that I would be doing after graduating. It's also not work I enjoy/tolerate well. My dilemma is whether to live poor for 1.5 years and finish about 2 years earlier or whether to continue at this pace. I would of course still have to take a part time job as I have not done well in the savings department as I didn't foresee this type of dilemma.

Other factors in the decision: I currently take out enough student loans to cover books/tuition, I could reduce monthly expenses to under $500 if necessary, I only have the "hard" classes left, I plan on going for an MS after BS, and I'm in my late-ish 20s.

I keep hearing how valuable my work experience will be when I graduate, but will it really replace 2 years worth of work in a related field I would be able to do if I graduate 2 years earlier?
Post edited by ThinkingItOver on

Replies to: Work or School full-time

• hellojanhellojan Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    It sounds like you're better off playing it safe.
  • DreamSchlDropoutDreamSchlDropout Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    I'm inclined to agree. Given that you have come this far doing school part-time, adjusting to the significant change in lifestyle to switch to full-time might actually be harder for you than staying the course.

It sounds like either way you will have some changes and adjustments to make, though. So take a step back and think hard about all of the new challenges and opportunities you will be taking on in both scenarios. If you adopt a detached and patiently analytical perspective about the options, I am sure you will see your way forward.
This discussion has been closed.