Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

homeschool applicant after a few gap years...

opheliaaylinopheliaaylin Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2013 in Non-Traditional Students
So after my one year off turned into four I am now 21 and applying to colleges. My thing is I was homeschooled in high school and am wondering what to do about recommendations. Especially when they require more than one. While in high school I only took two semester classes at a home school co-op in the beginning of my junior year. So the teachers I had don't remember me. Also I was not a big community service / sports / or anything like that person so my options for recommendations are pretty much my mother / father. I looked on the colleges websites where I am applying and there isn't really much in the way of instructions for applying as a homeschool student, such as supplementing someone other than a teacher for a second recommendation. Any advice?
Post edited by opheliaaylin on

Replies to: homeschool applicant after a few gap years...

• crazymomstercrazymomster Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    What have you been doing for 4 years? Do you have a coach or boss or pastor or mentor or ? that can write your recommendations?
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Crazy monster has a good suggestion. Definitely a parent should write one, is a professional manner as possible, acting as the guidance counselor. Visit the Homeschooling issues and do a bit of reading, I'm sure there are other advice for letters for homeschool students there. I take it you are not going to go the CC route, but that doesn't require letters, and there are a lot of state schools that don't, like the CSU system in Calif.
This discussion has been closed.