Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bizarre college dillema 5yrs after HS

proUniproUni Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2013 in Non-Traditional Students
I'm an international prospective student wishing to attend foreign colleges/unis. I graduated from HS some 5yrs ago & i never got the chance to attend any local college. Before you dismiss me, I beg you to please read thru my problem & see how awkward it is.
My situation is rather weird bcoz while in hs I spent my time building a scientific theory that is of earth-shattering consequences. I was more captivated with finishing it that I neglected my hs work, which included missing attendance in school to test it & this led me to a GPA>2!?! I actually thought having positive tangible results would compensate for this that even before I finished my hs final year, I applied to MIT even without doing the SATs. Now am preping to sit for the SATs and hopefully go to college.
Publishing my work in a scientific journal or reprint is what i aim to do soon, but, am wondering if somebody like myself can get somewhere with this. By the way I know what you think, 'just another crank trying his luck' but this is solid science and if what is happening at the Large Hadron Collider is anything to go by, my proof is further reinforced.
I know you are wondering, why havent I already published my work? Well the ideal platfoarm arxiv & other journals have steep policies but anywhere else I would comeoff as a crackpot. I want to share my ideas but I risk losing attribution bcoz i believe institutional affiliation or+PhD carry more weight in the mainstream.
I'm not as competent as I want to be and so want to further myself by learning in college environment because being self-taught takes a heck more from you than you can get back. Can someone pliz advice me of potential resouces or ideas becoz am willing to take any so long as it works. Thanks
Post edited by proUni on

Replies to: Bizarre college dillema 5yrs after HS

  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    You usually have to work with someone known who has a phD in order to get research taken seriously enough for publication. You will not have had the training to do the things you need to do and write it properly, I would guess. On the field and the type of journal.

    In the US, if we don't have the grades to get into college, and a 2.0 would keep you out of most places, then we go to community college and do some coursework to demonstrate ability to perform college level work satisfactorily.
This discussion has been closed.