Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chances of acceptance in second tier engineering school from CC

nishtfunsatmarnishtfunsatmar Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with this:
I have been out of high school for seven years already, and I periodically attended school, though not towards a specific major. One year ago, I started attending a community college, and I plan on transferring to a four year engineering college in the near future. I didn't do especially well in high school (b+ average) but this past year in school I achieved a GPA of 4.0 with modest effort, and I plan on keeping it that way. I think that I should get good recs. I never took the ACT, the SAT, or any other standardized tests; however, those schools say that taking it in college won't matter. Is that true? And will my high school record matter at this point?
What are my chances of admittance to a second tier engineering school like Georgia Tech or University of Michigan? I am not from either of those states.

Replies to: Chances of acceptance in second tier engineering school from CC

• MIN16QAKJMIN16QAKJ Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Congrats on your effort. I'm also non traditional student my self.

ACT/SAT - many of schools do not car about your high school GPA, records.. or test score if you been graduated more than 2-3 years. your CC coursework, your work history, volunteer work override your SAT ACT score.

when i applied to UC and CSU ( cal state ) i didn't even enter my act informaion.

my friend who never took those exam got in to Cornell, UCLA and UC Berkley. so I can honestly say it does not matter.

Getting 4.0 GPA is awsome!! I advise you to apply many top tire school as possible. As mature student, who demonstraded ablity to handle college level course work, you will be welcomed in many places.

Application fee might be a lot when you apply, but you don't want to get in to all the schools you apply and wonder... should i have applied to better school too? Apply everywhere!!!

1. make sure you get your prereqs done for your major. pre req might differ from school to school.

2. apply to all top tier school.

3. apply for scholarships. you will defintly get some with that gpa.

4. start working on essay. talk about your journey and how you found passion for what you do.

5. so many 17 18 years olds enter college with no future vision and drop out cause they lack study habit and determination. any school would love to have non returning student with 4.0 gpa with open arms.

Apply every where. you don't know whos gonna give you full scholarship.
  • rocsihrtrocsihrt Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I am in a very very similar position also hoping to get into an engineering program. Ive been doing a lot of research for the last few months of want my chances are of getting into a decent program and cant find too much on transfers. Luckily my older sister previously ran a program which helped students in the process of applying to uni. Two things she told me

1. Pick which programs you prefer call them, speak with them and usually they are able to get you into contact with current students that can help you with the process.Also because many engineering programs are smaller its good to get to know the faculty because often they are the ones making the decision on who gets in.

2. Have a great essay. Being out of school for a period of time it lets them know why you are different than the 18yr old with a 4.0 but no life experience.

Im in Texas which has some of the best petroleum engineering programs in the world. I will be applying not holding my breath but it doesn't hurt to try, if i was even able to get into University of Houston i would be to the moon. But if i'm able to get into a program in general ill suck up the out of state tuition and plan on doing internships to assure me a job after graduation.

Best of luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.