Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
CamscersCamscers Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I will be moving to the U.S in three months and I won't be able to attend college until I get my residency, which I will hopefully obtain in December. Unfortunately, I was unable to take any APs during my high school years because they are awfully expensive here (about US 500.) Leaving that aside, I do have a strong high school record.

My question is, if I take some AP classes and retake the SATs (along with the Subject Tests required by some admissions department,) could I apply as a freshman for Fall of 2016? Or are the APs not that significant? If so, what are some other aspects that I should focus on instead?

In other words, is it a good idea to take a gap year and strengthen my application?

I'm considering Vassar as a number one choice, so I'm trying to prepare my application according to their standards.

Thanks!

Replies to: Gap year?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 4,233 Senior Member
    You can apply as a freshman for Fall 2016 whether or not you take APs/SATs, as long as you haven't enrolled in or taken more than a specified number of credits from, a college or university.

APs are not a magic bullet: from an admissions point of view they are just a proxy for taking challenging/rigorous classes. Lots of people don't have many/any AP options, which is why even super-competitive schools don't included them in the application requirements. If your school record shows that you took a rigorous curriculum that's all that is required.

Imo, if you are going to take a gap year, use it for something great: something that is close to your heart / who you see yourself being / where you think you might be heading / will help you get there. Think of it: your family's move gives you the gift of time at an age and stage when a lot of things are open to you (esp if you have already turned 18).
This discussion has been closed.