Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Application Q: Should documentation from a mental health professional be included?

UofHGirlUofHGirl Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I was expelled from college almost three years ago, and I've only taken one class since then, from a community college. Next semester, I'm hoping to return to college and also transfer to a different one. I wrote a letter to explain why I did poorly in college and will include it with my college application. Part of the reason for making poor grades my last semester in school was as a result of a mental health condition. I went to a counselor for a few months afterwards. The director of the clinic did testing on my last visit and recorded that I no longer have mental health issues. I might ask him to write a note or to send the test results to the college. Would it be unprofessional to include this with my application?

In is another discussion started by a high school student, some posters thought that it would be a bad idea to have medical records sent to the college admissions staff. (http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/common-application/1563627-should-i-include-a-doctors-note-in-my-common-app.html)

In the discussion, I read that medical documentation should be sent to the high school student's general counselor. It is part of the GC's job to send recommendation letters for the student, and he/she would include an explanation of the student's health problems in the recommendation letter. Of course, I do not have a general counselor to document this for me because I am not currently attending classes. Should I ask someone at the clinic to send documentation to the universities, or not? Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.