Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Admission or transfer of recent green card holder with HS and some college from non-English country

gchernyagchernya Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I am writing on behalf of the prospective student who has the following circumstances.
She graduated from high school and completed some college in her native country (Ukraine).
She obtained a green card (unconditional permanent residency) and currently resides in Pennsylvania, in Montgomery county for couple years. She was born in 1993, so she is 22 years old now.
According to her family and her very modest income levels she would be entitled to the need based federal and Pennsylvania financial aid. The question that we have is what kind of tests, if any, she need to pass in order to prove her proficiency in English and general studies in order to be considered for admission?
If she was a foreign non-native English speaker, she would have have to work on the TOEFL, but she is US resident now. Can she still use that route to admission? At this point it would be somewhat hard for her to do SAT or ACT with decent scores...Is it any better to try to explore the avenue of admission used by the transfer students? She is not looking to cut more then one semester from the path to graduation if that route is used. (The prospective school is Temple University, Philadelphia)
This discussion has been closed.