Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

25 year old looking to try college again. A couple questions. Lots of info.

saibasabusaibasabu Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hello everyone,

First, I'll do a briefing on my situation. I grew up in Southern California with a desire for USC. My family moved to Georgia before high school. I attended all IB and AP classes with a not so great unweighted GPA (high 2s, low 3s). I had lots of extracurricular achievements including Eagle Scout, first place in state Accounting and Film competitions and weightlifting as well as broadcast news editor in chief.

I contacted USC my sophomore year of high school asking what I can do to improve my chances. They were so impressed at the time that they put a file on me and accepted me in my junior year. They even invited me for a summer semester between junior and senior year which I attended.

After graduating high school, I intended on going to USC until I didn't get financial aid (4 years at USC with fees and room/board add up to about $280,000). I was discouraged but decided to go to LSU. I only lasted one semester that ended in distance learning after medical issues with my heart that have since been fixed. I never went back because of out of state costs. While recovering with my family in Georgia, I took a job to pay off my student debts (and became really scared about the idea of being in debt so I haven't gone back to school). It's been five years of growing accustom to work life but luckily I'm saving a little bit for when I take the plunge again. I think it's time.

I want to start at a community college to get the first 2 years completed. I've also got some CLEP exams passed though it won't bother me if they're not applied. I've looked at community colleges (with reasonable out of state tuitions) in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California where I can eventually move on to a larger school in state.

Here's where the questions come in. Growing up, I was a prodigy in filmmaking and invited to several festivals/college events/etc (USC's film school is very well recognized). After getting discouraged by USC's cost, I considered Finance since I was good at it, I enjoyed it, and felt it was practical. I really want a degree in both. I can pursue my dream in a film career while also pursuing Finance to make a living.

1. Is it possible to have a bachelors in one then pursue a masters in a completely different field (like film and finance)?

2. If so, which should I pursue as a bachelors? I'd rather earn a bachelors in film since that's all I need then a masters in finance. The problem is only about half of the four year schools offer a major in film.

3. Will I eventually need a bachelors in both?

Thanks for reading.

Replies to: 25 year old looking to try college again. A couple questions. Lots of info.

• saibasabusaibasabu Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Oh and I chose those states because I want to spend my life in the west and if I graduate in a western state, I believe I'll increase my chances of being recognized or at least reaching out to career opportunities in the west. I just feel really out of place in the east. Kind of a psychological thing.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,875 Senior Member
    First off, congratulations on going back to school.

Can you major in film and minor in business or finance?
    Thank you!

Yes I could do that. I know very little about the requirements for a masters degree so I'm curious if having a minor in finance would make it eligible for a masters later on. Ironically, USC pays for your 2nd degree of you get two bachelors in different departments (so $280,000 instead of roughly $320,000. Whoopee. Haha).
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,575 Senior Member
    Agree with @techmom99 - do a major in one interest and a minor in the other. With your late start on your education and aversion to debt, it's hard to count on actually finishing that second degree.

Read up very carefully on what you need to do for in-state tuition in each state you are considering. Once you start paying out-of-state at your community college, the path to getting in-state tuition as an undergrad may be very hard. If you moved to the state for "educational purposes" you may be considered out-of-state for your whole four years, making your degree much more expensive. I have a friend who is sending her daughter to live with an uncle for a year and get a job. After a full year of working and not being in school, she will be in-state.

Your other option is to look at private institutions to see if you qualify for financial aid. Then state residency won't matter. Your parents' incomes will not count for financial aid purposes, which should help with affordability.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,875 Senior Member
    You're welcome.

I also suggest looking at the equivalency tables for each school and comparing to see which classes in your major and minor, as well as gen eds, will actually transfer. You might want to speak with the transfer admissions people at your intended transfer schools as well.

@Aroundhere makes excellent points as well about residency requirements and the fact that you are now emancipated and independent for FA purposes, even if you live at home.
    Those are some good points to consider, especially considering in-state status.

For anyone who has gone back to school, how do you move your mindset from a member of the workforce back to being a student again? Any advice is helpful.
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,581 Senior Member
    MBA programs are typically set up to deal with studens whose bachelor's degrees aren't in business. So get a bachelor's in film (minoring in finance if you want), then work on an MBA with a focus on finance...lots of part-time & night MBA programs out there.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,958 Senior Member
    Since you're 25, what you have to do to be considered instate is to move to the state of your choice and work there for 12 months. You can typically take one class at a community college but no more as You will be considered as moving 'for educational purpose' if you take too many classes per semester/ quarter. That class where our should be ready to go beyond duty to ensure an A, would establish your return to academics.
    Your financial aid will be based on YOUR earnings not your parents as was the case whznbou were a freshman. Therefore it's likely to be better this time around.
    Also, did you continue filming /editing films?

So, if you want to study in LA, go to California, work full-time, take one class a semester /quarter in cc but nothing more, get A 's and work on a small video project, then apply to usc, UCLA, and Chapman.

Note - Film industry : big deal in Atlanta and in Wilmington North Carolina.
This discussion has been closed.