Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Transferring with irregular circumstances

UMurdleUMurdle Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited August 2016 in Non-Traditional Students
Thanks for reading/helping in advance!

I was originally committed to be a Track and Field athlete at the University of Michigan, and would have started college this September. I was fully registered for the college and was technically on the athletic team as well. However, in very late June I received an appointment to the US Coast Guard Academy and was offered a spot in the preparatory program; this meant that I would spend a year at Marion Military Institute, a two-year military junior college, before being admitted into the Academy. I took the offer due to the Academy being my top choice; the rest is history.

After having been through two bootcamps, I realize that the military lifestyle really isn't for me. I don't want to go into too much detail because it'd be irrelevant, but I'm looking to get back to the University of Michigan.

So my question(s) is/are:

Would the fact that I initially backed out of the University for this upcoming school year affect my chances of being accepted for next year?(Looking to be accepted for the 2017-2018 school year)

Is competing there still a possibility?

Do Universities usually look highly upon transfer students/students from the military?

Any general tips would be appreciated
Thanks in advance!

If it matters, I'm technically Active Duty Military right now, so I'm not sure how that would come into play/if it would.
This discussion has been closed.