right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is it worth it to try applying again at dream school?

littlewomancocolittlewomancoco 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
The first time I applied to my dream school (USC, go figure) I really didn't have the gpa. This is embarrassing to admit but I just thought the school looked cool and people I knew who went there liked it and looked like they were having fun and had a ton of school spirit. I was stupid and thought me really wanting to go there and having an okay gpa would somehow be enough. Obviously i got rejected. I went to CC for a year and applied and got rejected again. wasn't going to spend another year at CC so I went to a state school and hated it so much I almost wanted to drop out of college completely. It sounds like I'm being a brat but the issue was really that I felt like I hadn't pushed myself enough and that I was also giving up on myself and it made me resent going to that school for the only reason being that I didnt want to be at CC anymore. so that fall (my first semester at the state school) I applied to USC again. l also switched majors and a lot of courses wouldnt transfer but it didn't mean much since I was actually pretty excited I found what I really wanted to do. but SURPRISE, I got rejected again. I appealed with improved spring grades and still rejected. I tried to tell myself forget usc and their dumb admissions and their stupid scandal but it's like I can't imagine myself anywhere else. I've been to lmu graduations and ucla graduations and usc graduations and the usc ones always made me feel like thats where I see myself graduating from. they have what I want academically, socially, the location, everything. I know the problem really is 99% me not having a compelling enough cumulative gpa. my desire to go there is more about me not settling and most of all not giving up on my dream, which is still very much my dream. I know some will say hey its just undergrad but when I think about it I just know that if I look back on my life in 10 or 20 years, not graduating from USC would probably always be the regret that stings the most. So please either talk me out of applying AGAIN or tell me if you think its worth another shot.
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is it worth it to try applying again at dream school?

• brantlybrantly 3726 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,792 Senior Member
    You've already applied four times (including your appeal). You're not going to get in. If you hadn't tried, that's cause for regret. But how can you regret something that is not available to you? That would be like regretting you're 5'1" and not 5'6". Do you regret not trying to get into Harvard? Why not? Probably because you know it's not available to you. Well, same with USC.

The most successful people in life are those who do not waste time focusing on things out of their control. Take the energy you are spending on thinking about USC and redirect it to finding a good fit that's available to you and focusing on your future.
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 151 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Hmmmmmmm......well, let me give you my knee jerk reaction. But first, you should never give up on your dream. Ever. Go for it.
    My sense is, though, that while USC loves a kid who loves them right back just like any college, what they want to see is what you plan to do with your college education. College is just the path to your dream. Not the actual dream. It is just college. Really, they are all much more alike than they are different. I suspect your struggle is more that you are not sure why you are in college in the first place. Are you liking your classes? Are you growing as a person and as a student? Because going to USC isn’t going to change that for you, if Not. Sure, some colleges have a vibe and a culture which really add to a lot of student’s happiness. But none of them are happy if they don’t value the educational experience they are having. Do you understand what I am saying? College isn’t just a place to hang for four years. You are VERY fortunate to be able to attend any college at all. The great majority of people your age in this world do not get to do that. Are you using it to enable your dreams for after college?
    · Reply · Share
  • CardinalBobcatCardinalBobcat 150 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    I'm not sure whether this will help, but it might be worth considering that USC has a graduate program as well. While it wouldn't mean spending your undergrad years there, if you are admitted later on into a graduate program, you'd get to enroll and would forever be a USC alum.
    · Reply · Share
  • littlewomancocolittlewomancoco 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    thank you for your inputs. I think if I had a 3.8 or a 4.0 the first time I applied and got rejected I wouldn't bother but the first time I applied I had a 3.2! but have trended upwards since then.
    also since I switched my major what I took at the CCs pretty much only count as GE credits so it would be like this past year was my freshman year credits wise so anywhere I go its going to be like essentially starting over. My question about usc is more like should I do this year at the school I'm but apply to usc again with higher gpa?
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3726 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,792 Senior Member
    How do you know it's your GPA that got you rejected? Aren't there other parts of the application?
    · Reply · Share
  • littlewomancocolittlewomancoco 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    like I said my gpa was a 3.2 then a 3.45 then a 3.6 so I'm sure that wasn't anyway near competitive
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 9772 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,834 Senior Member
    my desire to go there is more about me not settling and most of all not giving up on my dream
    That's exactly why you have been rejected.
    Once a school rejects you, they typically don't reverse their decision.
    Your continued applications wont wear down the admissions committee. They've already seen your applications and, although you believe you have to end up at USC, they have already indicated 4 times that you wont be a good fit for their campus. It's not about your dream, it's about their fit.
    Also since I switched my major what I took at the CCs pretty much only count as GE credits so it would be like this past year was my freshman year credits wise so anywhere I go its going to be like essentially starting over.
    No, you don't get to restart your college career. If you have just one year of transferable credits, they still may not consider you worthy of what THEY want. If you need to apply again, you may not be happy with the result.
    You haven't even discussed paying $72K per year.
    · Reply · Share